Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night several neighbors reported on facebook that an adult pigeon was approaching them and walking into their garages - seemingly to get out of the cold. They had been feeding it and seeing it for over a week. I went and retrieved the bird last night, and its now in my garage, sleeping in a towel-lined box, with a heating pad, and a stuffed animal. It does not appear to be injured. It does not have a leg band. It has eaten wild bird seed, drank water and can fly, as I found it sitting on a shelf about 10 feet up on the wall. It does allow me to pick it up, and doesn't run away I get near it. I've left messages with our Wildlife Rescue organization's hotline in Northern Virginia, and hope a pigeon rehabber will call me back. I don't know what more to do. I can't keep the bird as a pet. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
That is an interesting color pigeon. IMO the bird is sick. it is very unusual to beable to pick one up without resistance or flying off. so I would adopt the pigeon, give her/him a name and make a vet appt ASAP, when a pigeon starts to show signs of sickness it usually has been sick for a while so time is important for exam and treatment.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When you brought it home, it became your pet, at least for now. It is a very different color and should not be hard to find a home. Listen to the Matriarch's in this forum and while the bird is getting healthy, possibly you can find him, or her a more suitable home. If you release the bird, it would probably not make it to long. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts