Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this morning there was a pigeon laying outside in my yard, sprawled out (wings out), unmoving and I thought it was dead till I picked it up and it moved. It felt quite cold (as if it was dead). So I brought it inside and put it into a box and it's warmed up. It doesnt have any obvious injuries on it but it doesnt flap its wings at all and it cant walk. Its balance is off so it was falling sideways. It is now that it's warm sitting up (but other than that not really moving except if I touch it. It also now does open its eyes when touched.

In my country being an introduced species it would be regarded as a pest and the last bird I found which I tried to seek help for, the bird rescues would not take for that reason (they said they arent allowed too) and the vet when I took a bird there put it down as apparently being a pest bird species they arent allowed to treat so Im on my own with this bird.

Firstly I guess I need to know if this is a baby still which needs mashed food???? So Im including a picture. Please help. I dont know if he ended up actually drinking or not last time I tried to give him a drink (he may have done but I wasnt sure).. the time before I tried when he was appearing worst it certainly wasnt drinking. (it has pooped once since ive had it and the poo appeared healthy, its eyes weren't sunken either when I found it).
Bird Photograph Beak Organism Feather

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
That's an adult, and the symptoms suggest illness. It could be paramyxovirus but there are also several other possible causes which all produce similar symptoms (lameness or paralysis caused by infection affecting the central nervous system.) The bird can definitely survive the illness and recover, but will need help eating and drinking, possibly for several weeks. Foods (seeds, grains, and a few chopped bits of veggies) that are naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and/or antifungal would be helpful. You'll know when he is getting better because he will seem less tame and more afraid of you. If you've given him a box to sleep in, line it with paper towels for easy clean-up of the droppings. A bit of lemon juice in the drinking water (a teaspoon or so per cup) will provide electrolytes, which aren't needed after he is eating well. Occasional crumbled hard-boiled egg yolk will supply vitamins and minerals that are somewhat lacking in seed diets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's an adult, and the symptoms suggest illness. It could be paramyxovirus but there are also several other possible causes which all produce similar symptoms. The bird can definitely survive the illness, but will need help eating and drinking, possibly for several weeks. Foods (seeds, grains, and a few chopped bits of veggies) that are naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and/or antifungal would be helpful. You'll know when he is getting better because he will seem less tame and more afraid of you. If you've given him a box to sleep in, line it with paper towels for easy clean-up of the droppings. A bit of lemon juice in the drinking water (a teaspoon or so per cup) will provide electrolytes, which aren't needed after he is eating well. Occasional crumbled hard-boiled egg yolk will supply vitamins and minerals that are somewhat lacking in seed diets.

thanks heaps. Im trying to force crumbled hard boiled egg yolk into him now. I think?? he may have drink a wee little bit when i put his beak into water (but it's all that obvious).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
They sip water using their beak like a straw. Be careful not to cover the nostrils / nares in the upper beak with water. You might also be able to feed him bits of egg and other foods using a small plastic bag as shown in the video below (of a pigeon squab / baby.) Adult birds eat about 1.5 ounces (2 to 3 tablespoons) of food per day, usually spread across several meals during the course of the day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly it died last night.. so only survived about 12 hours. In its last half hour it appeared it was paralysed with its eyes too and it went from having eyes shut to eyes open and even touching the eye didn't make it blink (it was still breathing). It never moved its wings once the whole time I had it or hardly anything else. I hope the other wild pigeons who visit my place dont get the same thing, I have 3 different species of pigeons which visit my yard (and I also have chooks out there which Ive had since babies).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I hope the other wild pigeons who visit my place dont get the same thing, I have 3 different species of pigeons which visit my yard (and I also have chooks out there which Ive had since babies).
Perhaps scattering some naturally antibiotic seeds around the area might be a good idea. Cumin and fennel in particular, as they each fight infectious diseases that cause central nervous system symptoms like those the bird had, and both may actually help against botulinum toxin too, which can also cause similar symptoms.

Thank you for caring for the bird.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps scattering some naturally antibiotic seeds around the area might be a good idea. Cumin and fennel in particular, as they each fight infectious diseases that cause central nervous system symptoms like those the bird had, and both may actually help against botulinum toxin too, which can also cause similar symptoms.

Thank you for caring for the bird.
thank you for this idea. So far, so good and Ive seen no other sick pigeons as yet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts