Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That's an adult, and the symptoms suggest illness. It could be paramyxovirus but there are also several other possible causes which all produce similar symptoms (lameness or paralysis caused by infection affecting the central nervous system.) The bird can definitely survive the illness and recover, but will need help eating and drinking, possibly for several weeks. Foods (seeds, grains, and a few chopped bits of veggies) that are naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and/or antifungal would be helpful. You'll know when he is getting better because he will seem less tame and more afraid of you. If you've given him a box to sleep in, line it with paper towels for easy clean-up of the droppings. A bit of lemon juice in the drinking water (a teaspoon or so per cup) will provide electrolytes, which aren't needed after he is eating well. Occasional crumbled hard-boiled egg yolk will supply vitamins and minerals that are somewhat lacking in seed diets.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
They sip water using their beak like a straw. Be careful not to cover the nostrils / nares in the upper beak with water. You might also be able to feed him bits of egg and other foods using a small plastic bag as shown in the video below (of a pigeon squab / baby.) Adult birds eat about 1.5 ounces (2 to 3 tablespoons) of food per day, usually spread across several meals during the course of the day.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I hope the other wild pigeons who visit my place dont get the same thing, I have 3 different species of pigeons which visit my yard (and I also have chooks out there which Ive had since babies).
Perhaps scattering some naturally antibiotic seeds around the area might be a good idea. Cumin and fennel in particular, as they each fight infectious diseases that cause central nervous system symptoms like those the bird had, and both may actually help against botulinum toxin too, which can also cause similar symptoms.

Thank you for caring for the bird.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts