Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found pigeon. Looking for rescue Mesa AZ

Hi last evening i found a pigeon upside down (really) next to the corner of my house. I think he flew into a window and knocked himself out. Thought for sure he was dead but there he was lying on his back his feet curled up with his eyes open. I think his eyes were reddish. I picked him up and held him for a bit to see how he was. His wings and tail feathers all intact. I set him down and he was like paralyzed. About and hour later he started walking to the street waddling like a penguin. Drank some water and froze again. I tried to get him to go but he cant. I couldn't leave him so i found a spot in a tree and nestled him up there. He was still there at midnight. This morning i found him at the curb straight out from the tree but not near the water eyes closed. Poor thing it is killing me. Picked him up and put him in a box in the garage with water and chicken feed. I dont know if he is waiting to die or recover. He is very plump and quite regal looking... like I said i think he flew into the house and knocked himself out. Literally. I am in mesa AZ. Does any one know if there is a rescue. Also he hasn't drank or eaten. But he may not like chicken feed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The pigeon you found may be recovering from a window strike but it's hard to know for sure. If there are no other signs of distress or injury, keep him in a dark quiet place and check on him every couple of hours for signs of growing alertness. If you saw him drink earlier that's a good sign, but he should also eat. Chicken feed will do, but black oil sunflower seeds are great if you can get them.

Hydration is going to be important, but you cannot make a pigeon drink and could easily drown him if you try. I've rescued several pigeons and doves who've gotten knocked for a loop and needed a day or two to recover. To encourage them to drink I place a shallow empty bowl in with the bird and fill a glass with warm water. Pour the water into the bowl in such a way that it makes a splashing noise. If you can do this in a sunny spot where the water will catch the sun, the noise and reflection of the water will usually get the bird's attention, and they will drink if they are able.

I don't know about bird rescue/rehabs in Arizona, but many places euthanize pigeons because they're considered pests (I won't go off on a tirade here, but #@$!%!!). Try rescueme.org, you may find something there. Good luck to you and the bird you are trying to help.

Cheers,
Trish

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh he didn't make it

thanks for your reply i really appreciate it. I had him in a box in the garage. i came out and he had fallen over. he passed about 15 minutes later. i think it was all just too much for him.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Aww poor little love. At least he died peacefully without the fear he would have known in the street, traffic, cats, crows etc.
Thank you for caring for him and giving him the comfort he needed in his hour of need. x

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thanks for trying to help him. Poor thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts