Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Let me first say how glad i was to have found this forum, it has lots of very useful info.

I have rescued several injured pigeons before and have had good success getting them up and around again. However the day before yesterday my wife and i found an adult pigeon sitting on the yellow stripe in the middle of a downtown street here in Albuquerque NM. He seemed stunned and i picked him up assumijg it was a wIng injury. Once i got him back home however i noticed he was twisting his neck around and almost lying on his head. I kept him warm hand fed him water and then a few hours later fed him warm corn by hand. I have repeated he water and food twice a day since and he now seems to be doing much better at swallowing the food once i push it back in his beak a little. My concern is when i put him back in his enclosure he will stand up off and on but will also thrash around having a fit and will lie with his head underneath fOr a few minutes. I assume these are symptoms of pmv buti am afraid he will injure himself thrashing around. I knwo it can take some time for them to improve and have no problem with feeding and watering him, i just don't want him tO hurt himself. Any advice?

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Gabriel1334,

PPMV Pigeons have often suffered at least contusions, and, usually some privations by the time we find them.

These, and the general stress of their being in the throes of the illness, often lead to secondary illnesses, and, one does well to be alert to signs or symptoms of these, in addition to the PPMV range of symptoms.

Of course, sometimes what may appear to be PPMV, is actually something else, some toxic condition, Salmonella, Poisoning of accidental or Avicide kind, Head injury, Inner Ear infection, etc.

You can fold some Towelling into four layer, and, arrange it to be partway up the sides of his Cage in the inside, to sort of pad the lower areas anyway, against his thrashing there, or, by some device, padd the entire sides, using 'Egg Crate' pattern Foam Rubber ( which can be had as scraps at any place which does commercial re-upolstry Work ).

Can you post some images of the Bird himself, and, good, in focus, close ups of his freshest poops?

Keep him on a white Towelling or White Paper Towelling, to allow good inspection of poops, and, renew the material each morning.

Have his Cage no lower than table height, also, and of course, situated in some calm surround, away form people and away form children or other pets especially...so he may have less worry or stress.

Do you have any good Bird Vitamins on hand?

Do you have a Scale to weigh him?

In theory, PPMV is very easily contageous to other Pigeons and some other Species of Birds, so, make sure you are careful about washing your Hands well and not inadvertently going from him to any other Pigeons or Birds you may have without a good scrubbing first.

Wash your Hands well prior to handling him also, since his immune system right now may well be heavily taxed.

Someting I usually do to comfort the PPMV ones, is to have them nestled gently in a Towel on my Lap, and, if cool temps, to also cover them up to or even including their Head, with a smaller Cloth, and, then to have my left hand softly on their Back, as they face to my right.

This also allows a small Bowl of Seeds to be under their Beak, and, my left Hand offers a 'ceiling' to limit the 'Star Gazing' or other wangles, of their pecking. This usually in fact permits them to peck successfully, where, unrestrained, they would not be able to.

This assuming their digestive system is working alright, and, that Seeds can be swallowed safely and so on...

Same thing then with Water, which can be hard for them to drink on their own, so, gently having them on your Lap, on a Towel, can also allow a supervised and Head-steadied Drinking occasion.

Best wishes!

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

I fortunately have no other winged Pets and have the pigeOn in a quiet warm spare room. I just fed him another bit of peas and offered him more water. I cleaned the cage very rectly and dont have poo pictures. They had been pretty wet with white and green towards the middle. I cant seem to get my phone to upload pics to the forum. He is not super fluffy has bright clear eyes but jist seems to sit up for a couple minutes and then droop or have a tumbling fit and flaps around. He does seem more alert and active...

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
What meds do you have on hand?

People Vitamins can work well also. As especially in Capsule form, where the Capsule can be opened ...B Vitamin complex particularly would be nice ( but wait for info on dosing before giving any )...also, 400 IU 'gel caps' or 'pearls' ( non openable and small ) of Vitamin A also would be good.

These are cheap enough at any Health Food Store for that matter.

Which is what I usualy do...

See what you can do for the images, borrow a Camera even.

Weight would be nice to have, as it aids in forming some idea of whether the Bird has lost weight, and, if so, how much, roughly...and or of course, to see if they are starting to gain some, if having already lost some...and so on...

Or, as you have had Pigeons before, do you have an opinion on whether he appears thin or emaciated? Or..?

Lastly, what sorts of Seeds do you have on hand?

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have vitamin b...no seeds on hand only rice and quinoa... Not of any use. I can get a good camera tomorrow. He feels pretty meaty... KeelbOne not protrudojg and seems pretty plump. Is therexan email address i could send pics to? I can do that with my phone.
I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Gabriel1334,

Just upload images to any internet free site, fotki, webshots, etc...then use the url they provide for posting on a forum.

Where are you located?

And, can you get to a decent Feed Store or Pet Store or Health Food Store, or all three?

Phil
Lv

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi

Your description does fit PMV. Pigeons with PMV are often active. They give the appearance of trying to exhibit normal pigeon behavior but, of course, are unable to. Some intersperse this with suddenly 'zonking out' and standing with head down and eyes closed. A frequent observation is attempting to pick up seed, but flinging it 'over the shoulder' with an uncontrollable jerk of the neck. Poops are not a reliable guide with PMV as they can vary a lot. What's described as a 'thin broken worm' of dropping in a pool of liquid is a definite PMV symptom, but they may well be as you describe or even pretty much normal in appearance. I give them a deep dish of seed, and while they have difficulty in eating will hand feed thawed out frozen peas and corn, and a few small raw peanuts, to keep 'em going.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually work at a store that sells lots of vitamins/supplements and have an excellent local pet store nearby. I uploaded some pics to an album named pmv on my profile. I am located in Albuquerque NM. I will be feeding the little guy soon and then will be at work for a few hours. I will check back on here midday.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Gabriel1334,

At a glance, whether this Bird even has PPMV or not, they do appear to have Canker...and they do appear to have malnutrition issues.

Better and closer images would help.

Of the poops, and of the Bird's face and profile.

I have to leave for Work now for a while...will check in later.

Do you have any experience in 'Tube Feeding'?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Potential pmv pigeon

Got home from work held the pij up to his water and he drank well. Fed him later on. He seemed to be more energetic. I opened his beak and hand fed a few pieces of cornafter whitch he opened his beak to be fed. I fed him most of his food that way but the last few he managed to peck the last few kernels out of my hand. Getting vitamins from a pet store hookup tomorrow. He serms much more energetic and stronger today...

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Oh good...

Please do see if you can get some more images, of both Him, closer up of profile and face, as well as general, and, some well lit close ups of some fresh poops.

White Paper Towels are good for the Cage bottom, rather than Newspaper, and allows easier study and no slime and toxins.

You could see about getting some particular Seeds at a Health Food Store -

Raw Oat Groats.

Raw unsalted Sunflower Seed Hearts.

Dried 'Goji Berries' ( these you can cut up with Scissors into thirds, and feed them to him along with the Seeds you are puttng into his willing Beak ).

Petsmart or the likes - some Finch or Canary Seed mix or Wild Dove mix ( the latter, if it is any good, will have White Safflower Seeds and some small dried Peas in addition to smaller Seeds ), and, while there, a little box of Grit.

Working with him a couple or three times-a-day for his Chow Times, is very good and he will be appreciative.

We want to see about 35 good normal sized poops every 24 hours.

Supervised and or also guided drinking, five or six times a day is also good...he needs his hydration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fed him warm frozen Peas, a few groats and a small amount of sunflower seed hearts this afternoon. He was twisty but alert and was holding his mouth oPen for more peas etc. Guided drinking he does well at. I will take better pictures tomorrow morning. I have lined the cage with paper towels. He is still twisty and bowing his head but feels stronger when i pick him up.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Sounds good...

May as well make up a Quart or so of ACV Water, and have that for his Drinking Water.

"Braggs", or any good, actual, Apple Cider Vinegar...one Tablespoon of the Vinegar to the Quart of Water.

If it seems this is too strong a solution for his drinking pleasure, dilute it a little, and so on till you arrive at a concentration he finds agreeable.

I am thinking this is likely a sub-adult or older not-long-since-Fledgling age Pigeon.

But, we'll see once you get more images posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts