Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The pigeon's wing does not appear to be broken because he streched them both out while examining him. he has dried blood on his chest - no open wounds - wing does hang a little lower - he does not put up a fight when handled and will only drink water (alot actually) hand fed with a spoon and will not eat seed, millet, or anything else. i have him safe in a crate - his poop is white - I've had him for about 15 houors now. he is now sleeping - why can't he fly? He wings both seem strong - Is he sick or do you think injured? What should i do with him? He is so sweet..I live on the New Jersey shore..i want to do whats best for him although I want to keep and nurture the bird but thinking mabey if there is a place close by that specializes he would be better off. Lots of animals in neighborhood - hate to keep him caged but he can't fly! I live in Forked River, NJ..Any one out there that can help me out? Thank you!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hi Barbara...Is it possible to post a picture?
I'm going to get you some feeding instructions...I'll be right back.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You said the bird will only drink water...I'm wondering if what you've found is a young bird that hasn't learned to eat on it's own yet. I've copied the following instructions for you...
You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat. You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know it is eating on their own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.

Barbara, the poop sound be green and white or brownish and white to be normal. White only means the bird doesn't have enough food to create stool or solid dropping. the next step is bright green poop when the bird goes into starvation mode.
Are there by chance any yellow fuzzy feathers on this bird?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That's just the name I was going to give you.
Here's one other that may be able to direct you to someone near you...Ruth Brooks...856-983-3329.
It's a place for you to start and if you don't find someone close or satisfactory, we'll be here.
You have got you get food into the bird though.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts