Pigeon-Talk banner

Found pigeon - uncaring owner! UK

Tags
found bird
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  louisev 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I live next to a farm and we've had a pigeon hopping around all day today! For fear of getting caught by the cats or run over by a tractor we caught it about an hour ago. Its very friendly and takes seeds from your hand.. after frantically eating the seed (obviously hungry) and having a bit of water we were able to catch it.

After doing a bit of research I found out the owners name and phone number may be under the wing and was delighted to find it was and the area code is only about 10miles from where I live.

So I've called the owner, who I have to say is a complete jerk who obviously doesnt care for his birds. He told me it was his last season (his not the pigeons), he has arthiritis and cant come and collect the bird and to just get rid of it!

I really dont want to do that for fear of the bird getting hurt (or worse flying home to its inconsiderate owner!). We have a lot of land and could build a basic coop - which seems like the best bet at the moment!

The bird has tags starting with GB11, I don't think it is hurt, just extremely tired and quite skinny.. the bird looks like this one- http://www.pigeonracingpigeon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/racing-pigeon.jpg

Does the GB11 mean that it was born in 2011?

Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Louise :)

See less See more
#5 ·
You did the right thing by securing the pigeon, it sounds as if he was going to kill it anyway! And yes, it would have hatched in 2011 so only about a year old.

Can you tell us where in the UK you are? Nearest town will do! Maybe we can find a safe place for it far away from its selfish brute of an owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.