Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pigeon came to my house about seven weeks ago and will not leave. It is burgundy with white tail feathers, nice looking bird and appears to be healthy. He does have a leg band, but I can only get about 3 feet from him so I can't read it. He is making a mess on my roof and needs to leave. Need advice.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
This pigeon came to my house about seven weeks ago and will not leave. It is burgundy with white tail feathers, nice looking bird and appears to be healthy. He does have a leg band, but I can only get about 3 feet from him so I can't read it. He is making a mess on my roof and needs to leave. Need advice.
Are you feeding the bird? Can you post a picture? Do you think it's a homing/racing pigeon or a fancy breed?
The best thing to do is catch the bird and keep it in a safe place and give us the band info so we can try to trace the owner.
Here's a trap that you might use.

http://www.racingbirds.com/ptrap.html

Or any thing that you can get the bird to go into and close a door behind it. A cat or dog carrier, etc..........

·
Registered
331 Posts
I,m too far to come help you but if you can catch him and get his band number we can help find his owner.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Pretty bird. Looks like an adult red velvet homing pigeon. Either an old bird born this year, or at least a yearling. Hard to tell with some birds, depending on if their ancestors had those big ceres and whatnot. It's possible it's a lost racer, or perhaps a breeder who escaped it's previous loft, who was attempting to get home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to say this , but the pigeon has to go one way or another. I can't catch him in a trap or by hand. I wish someone in my area was into pigeons so they could deal with the pigeon. My last resort will take care of it, but I hate to do this as it is a beautiful bird and belongs to someone. I have a new home with a lot of pigeon crap on it. Last call for help!!!!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
What exactly have you tried to do to find someone on your area to help you catch him...contact us, an International forum? That was just a week ago.
Give him a chance to rest and be on his way. He shouldn't die because you have a new house and he's pooping on it. The rain will come soon enough and wash it all away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My last resort was to spray him with a hose until he leaves. No I will not kill the bird, he has been here over two months and I kind of like the guy. I have tried local searches for pigeon lofts with no luck. I have eyebrows (eave detail) on my house that are high in the air and rain will not hit there. To tell you the truth I will hate to even spray him with a hose. I have even been keeping my cats in so they don't get him.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
My last resort was to spray him with a hose until he leaves. No I will not kill the bird, he has been here over two months and I kind of like the guy. I have tried local searches for pigeon lofts with no luck. I have eyebrows (eave detail) on my house that are high in the air and rain will not hit there. To tell you the truth I will hate to even spray him with a hose. I have even been keeping my cats in so they don't get him.
Thank you for telling us that. It's a huge relief.Your last resort sounded much worse.
Have you thought of putting up a nesting box with a lip to catch the poop? If the bird would use it, you could grab him after dark , if you wanted to. Once contained it would be much easier to place him.
None of us have the magical skills necessary to catch a bird that is free flying and doesn't want to be caught.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Of all the members on this site, do we not have any nearby? :confused:

You could try feeding him in the same spot, every day. Just so he learns that spot in the yard = food supply. Then you can try putting a cage trap out there with food in/under it. Might help a bit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your ideas...I have tried the live trap, but all I get is squirrels and Blue Jays. He sits above my bird feeders, and I held off feeding the birds...He still hangs in there. I might try to grab him at night, but I will be on a ladder. If I get him do I put him in a cage? I will be able to read his band and put the information out. What do they do in the winter? Thanks

G

·
if your going to grab it at night use a long handled fishing net ,they work very well and you have more reach ..and when and if you catch it Im sure you will have no problem with someone taking this bird from you as its a real beauty ;) So if you do catch it yes secure it in a cage with water an bird seed and get the band info so we can try to find its home and if they dont want it Im sure someone else here will take it ...in winter they pretty much do the same thing only they try to stay warm and find a good food source.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts