Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I found a pigeon on the street. It was trying to fly, but couldn't get up and it was clearly bleeding. I took it home and upon inspection found that both of its middle toes were bleeding a lot (may even be broken but I'm not sure). I tried cleaning them as best as I could and the bleeding stopped but I'm not sure how to care for it or what else to do. I lined a wide bucket with newspaper and gave it water and some cereal and uncooked oatmeal but it hasn't been eating. I keep having to change the newspaper cause he (or she) keeps pooping, and I think that's a good sign. But other than that, it's not drinking much water or eating; he just sits there and stares into the room. Any other advice on how to take care of him (or her) would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If it's not eating it will die of starvation.
Either you give his corn. peas, sunflower or you will have to handfeed him.
As for the injuries you have to apply antibiotic ointment. Does th epigeon have any stings attached/tangled on his toe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got some bird seed from the store and he was walking around pretty nicely today. I read that string sometimes gets tangled in their feet but there wasn't any attached to his. I did clean his wounds with hydrogen peroxide and applied some ointment. For the time being, I am able to take care of him. Although I saw no injuries on his wings, he is not flying around much. Is this something to be worried about?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
How is his poops? A pic will help.
Does he have room to fly?
Dilute hydrogen peroxide with water, otherwise it will burn the skin.
Are his toes swollen? I wonder how did he cut the middle toes. Could be anti pigeon spikes. Are there punctures or cuts?
Last question: is he eating now. Provide with fresh water daily please.
Thank you for caring fo rhim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts