Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a homing pigeon a couple of days ago....it offered no resistance to my picking it up...it actually would lose it's balance and fall forward...i picked it up...put it in a box...and put water and some breadcrumbs in it......i called around and found a pigeon racer who knew the owner...the pigeon was banded....he came over and picked it up....he later informed me that after trying to feed it ...he did not make it through the night....it was very weak....i'm sad over it's dying...but at least he landed in my yard which is protected by dogs which did not mess with him..and alerted me to it's presence....at least it died a peaceful death..as opposed to getting attacked by cats who roam the neighborhood...it chose the right yard to land on..i named him peace....now i am going to get a homing pigeon...i fell in love with it....i wont race it but i will keep them in a makeshift loft and let a pair hang around my yard.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I found a homing pigeon a couple of days ago....it offered no resistance to my picking it up...it actually would lose it's balance and fall forward...i picked it up...put it in a box...and put water and some breadcrumbs in it......i called around and found a pigeon racer who knew the owner...the pigeon was banded....he came over and picked it up....he later informed me that after trying to feed it ...he did not make it through the night....it was very weak....i'm sad over it's dying...but at least he landed in my yard which is protected by dogs which did not mess with him..and alerted me to it's presence....at least it died a peaceful death..as opposed to getting attacked by cats who roam the neighborhood...it chose the right yard to land on..i named him peace....now i am going to get a homing pigeon...i fell in love with it....i wont race it but i will keep them in a makeshift loft and let a pair hang around my yard.
Thank you for attempting to help this bird. I'm sorry he didn't make it but your right - he didn't die alone. They seem to know when you are trying to help them.
Once you meet a pigeon and really get to know them - you'll be hooked.
They are intelligent, devoted, loving birds. There are plenty of rescues out there looking for loving homes :)
Welcome to Pigeon Talk - its a great place to hang out and learn in your free time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found

Yesterday my little girl spotted a white bird in the neighbor's yard. I thought it was a statue but then it moved. We approached and saw the bird was banded. Pure white, I was sure it was a racing pigeon as I had read about these birds while researching resources on this page for a wild pigeon I found about six months ago. Well, I tried unsuccessfully to catch her, as I could tell she was exhausted and looked injured. She flew to a low rooftop and I figured that would be it. But, I wrote to someone on a link from this page and got a contact at a nearby racing club who I called this morning. Low and behold I he confirmed my suspicion and told me the bird was likely a 2008 racer (it had a green band). Clearly it lost the race, but winning isn't everything. I made it my mission today to find that bird. I walked the neighborhood. Found a few people who had seen it over the past few days. That made me hopeful that she was down and roaming our neighborhood. So, I to look for her and leave flyers. Late in the day today I got a phone call from a neighbor that is one house away from me (who, I am ashamed to admit I have never even met!). She had called to tell me she had seen the bird YESTERDAY in her yard. Her call brought me into my kitchen where I answered the phone. As I spoke to her I looked out the window and there was the bird --right between our two houses in the vacant lot. This time, with my son's help I was able to catch her gently in a towel and bring her inside. She is eating and drinking and seems OK. My pigeon racing contact is going to track down her band number and find her owner. If the owner does not want her back or if he cannot track the owner he said he would take her-- he does not euthanize birds as some owners do. Are things meant to happen? I think so. My daughter named her snow angel.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Yesterday my little girl spotted a white bird in the neighbor's yard. I thought it was a statue but then it moved. We approached and saw the bird was banded. Pure white, I was sure it was a racing pigeon as I had read about these birds while researching resources on this page for a wild pigeon I found about six months ago. Well, I tried unsuccessfully to catch her, as I could tell she was exhausted and looked injured. She flew to a low rooftop and I figured that would be it. But, I wrote to someone on a link from this page and got a contact at a nearby racing club who I called this morning. Low and behold I he confirmed my suspicion and told me the bird was likely a 2008 racer (it had a green band). Clearly it lost the race, but winning isn't everything. I made it my mission today to find that bird. I walked the neighborhood. Found a few people who had seen it over the past few days. That made me hopeful that she was down and roaming our neighborhood. So, I to look for her and leave flyers. Late in the day today I got a phone call from a neighbor that is one house away from me (who, I am ashamed to admit I have never even met!). She had called to tell me she had seen the bird YESTERDAY in her yard. Her call brought me into my kitchen where I answered the phone. As I spoke to her I looked out the window and there was the bird --right between our two houses in the vacant lot. This time, with my son's help I was able to catch her gently in a towel and bring her inside. She is eating and drinking and seems OK. My pigeon racing contact is going to track down her band number and find her owner. If the owner does not want her back or if he cannot track the owner he said he would take her-- he does not euthanize birds as some owners do. Are things meant to happen? I think so. My daughter named her snow angel.
I'm another of one those that DO NOT euthanize pigeons, lost or other wise.......I'm SO glad that you were able to find a kind person to help you. Good luck with whatever happens and a big thank you from a pigeon racer for caring. ;)
I love the name too.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I loved reading this story, and I'm glad it had a happy ending for snow angel. Maybe you should have kept it. It found you. min

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'm another of one those that DO NOT euthanize pigeons, lost or other wise.
I hear you on that I never have and never will. On this board we might be the majority. But in racing as a whole I'm sorry to say we are the minority and thats sad. :(

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It is sad that the pigeon died. But thank you for helping that bird. I hope that the owner knows about rescuing birds like re-hydration, etc. A bird that is too weak probably can't feed itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I loved reading this story, and I'm glad it had a happy ending for snow angel. Maybe you should have kept it. It found you. min
We have decided to keep her... unless her owner somehow manages to contact us. She is doing better and we renamed her "Pearl." I believe she did find me for a reason. I made it my dharma (duty) to find her that day, and she came to me.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
We have decided to keep her... unless her owner somehow manages to contact us. She is doing better and we renamed her "Pearl." I believe she did find me for a reason. I made it my dharma (duty) to find her that day, and she came to me.
Good for you. You will just love her and she's a pretty one.
Record keeping here in the states on these birds isn't what it should be, IMO, and isn't like other countries........the bands don't always mean much if records aren't kept. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts