Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Yesterday afternoon my boyfriend and I were driving and saw a pigeon lying in the middle of the road. We stopped and he ran out and picked up the bird before oncoming traffic ran it over. The bird has a broken leg for sure but I'm unsure if there are other injuries (I'm pretty sure it was hit by a car). It is refusing to eat or drink so I have been giving it water through a dropper just to make sure it doesn't get dehydrated and I've opened it's mouth and given it a few seeds that I have from my other birds. It has attempted to walk but just falls on it's chest and had made no attempt to fly but it can spread it's wings. The bird is banded but I have no clue how to find out who it belongs to. (I'm in durham region, ontario). It seems to be a little more alert then yesterday (yesterday it appeared to be in shock maybe as it didn't move at all). Just looking for some advice on how I can care for the bird and find it's owner. Thanks!!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If you would give us the band information we may be able to help you find the owner.

here are some prewritten feeding instructions.

Do make sure the bird is warm before you feed him. Putting him on a heating pad set on low is best for direct heat. If he is warm enough to feed, his feet will feel warm.

You can hand feed defrosted peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 30-50 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own. After a couple of feedings, most squeakers get the hang of it, pick up the peas on their own and naturally transition into a seed diet.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Thank you for caring for this bird, and welcome to Pigeon Talk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice :). I was able to locate the owner of the bird through calling a racing place in the area. Unfortunately when I contacted the owner he really didn't care, I explained to him the bird was injured and he didn't even ask about it's injuries. He basically said that he didn't want it back and I could find someone to give it to. I'm disgusted. I'm not exactly sure where to go from here and I'm not sure how I can help this bird get better. I know a little bit about pigeons and doves because over the course of the last year and a half I've found both a new born pigeon and dove, both of which still live in my house. My pigeon is almost a year and a half old and it's a female and the dove is just under a month old and i'm not sure if it is a male or female. lol, I've never had a bird up until recently, now I just keep finding ones that need help. My pigeon hates the outdoors and will only go outside if it's sitting with us, she is very domesticated. So is it safe to have my pigeon and the injured one near one another? I have kept them all apart until now and plan to until I know more. Is there anything I can do to help the birds leg heal faster? I'm not sure why it is not eating because it seems that only it's leg is injured but I can't be 100% sure. Is there anything I can do to bring it's appetite up? Sorry but I have so many questions any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That is unfortunate. Some owners care very much for all thier birds and others think of them only as objects to win races. Thanks for trying. I would keep the new pigeon separate for at least a couple week from your other bird until you are sure it is healthy. If it was sent out for a race when lost it was probably crowded during the process with many other birds and possibly exposed to something or other. Probably it is fine but why take the risk until you are SURE. If the newcomer mends and recovers the two pigeons should eventually get along quite well and enjoy each others company.
You may want to post on the "General Discussion" part of this forum....you will probably get more response and don't be afraid of asking too many questions. We are all pigeon people here!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for the advice :). I was able to locate the owner of the bird through calling a racing place in the area. Unfortunately when I contacted the owner he really didn't care, I explained to him the bird was injured and he didn't even ask about it's injuries. He basically said that he didn't want it back and I could find someone to give it to. I'm disgusted. I'm not exactly sure where to go from here and I'm not sure how I can help this bird get better. I know a little bit about pigeons and doves because over the course of the last year and a half I've found both a new born pigeon and dove, both of which still live in my house. My pigeon is almost a year and a half old and it's a female and the dove is just under a month old and i'm not sure if it is a male or female. lol, I've never had a bird up until recently, now I just keep finding ones that need help. My pigeon hates the outdoors and will only go outside if it's sitting with us, she is very domesticated. So is it safe to have my pigeon and the injured one near one another? I have kept them all apart until now and plan to until I know more. Is there anything I can do to help the birds leg heal faster? I'm not sure why it is not eating because it seems that only it's leg is injured but I can't be 100% sure. Is there anything I can do to bring it's appetite up? Sorry but I have so many questions any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear about the irresponsible owner.

Keep the birds apart for now, as that is a safety precaution.

Has the bird eaten anything? The bird needs to eat asap-and that means hand feeding it, as it will sucumb to hunger if not fed. Please follow feeding instructions given above by Charis. You have to force feed it now. The peas are easy to give and least stressful way to do it, plus you don't have to worry about him drinking after.

The following lin is a thread on broken legs, with a link to anatomy and several different methods of wrapping it:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f14/broken-leg-62530.html?highlight=broken

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heyy, thanks so much for the responses. I was force feeding the bird seed and water since the day we found it and thankfully last night it started eating and drinking on it's own!! It's kind of figured out how to hop around on one leg without falling on it's chest which is good :). I'm hoping that all this means the bird is getting better and will be just fine. And thank you for the advice, I will keep them seperated until I am sure it is okay.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You will need to check the leg to see if it is actually broke, or just sprained. Do you see any obvious sign of it being broken or bruised and/or swollen? You can compare it to the good one and see. Check the anatomy link also and it may help you figure out where it is broke, if it is. If in doubt it would be best to take to a rehabber and/or vet as it can be fixed and set if broken, because if broke time is of the essence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The leg does not have any obvious signs of being broken. It is not swollen and nothing is out of place. The only indication is that the bird won't put any pressure on the injured leg.
One more question? it doesn't appear to have other injuries aside from it's leg but it has made no attempt to fly, would an injured leg prevent the bird from flying or could it be something else?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts