Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10-23-12 5:11 PM. About a month ago a pigeon showed up at my house in Franklin Texas 77856. It's a grey pigeon with a green feather ring around the neck. It has a green rubber or plastic band around it's right leg and a white tag on it's left leg. I can get close to the pigeon, just cant catch it. I built it a wooden box off the ground and put some hay in it. He wont use the box, instead he sits on the corner of the roof everyday and watches me as I work. Ive been feeding him hen scratch and fresh water and he comes back every day. I took a pair of binoculars and I could see the number 45 at the end of the white band. Thats all the info I have. Ive never seen a pigeon out in this area where I live. It' deep in the woods. The bird does not appear to be hurt or in distress and has a good appetite. Any suggestions?
My email is [email protected]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your concern over this bird.

The bird needs to be contained for several reasons, it looks like it may be sick and to secure it from predators as well as reading the ID band to get it home.

Here is a link to help with ideas to catching the bird:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/1...s-incl2cnd-step-post-your-location-38776.html

Also, could you get some wild bird seed or pigeon seed to feed it and make sure it has access to clean water?? Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried netting it yesterday and failed. I told a buddy of mine about it. He suggested the stick on a string and a box. I will try that. I didnt want to spook the bird, so I left it alone today. Ive been feeding it hen scratch and fresh water in the same spot for a month. It does not appear to be injured or sick. It flies around the house a lot and I suspect it's roosting in a nearby tree at night.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Once you try and fail it will be more difficult to catch him, now that he knows the drill. You might want to try and catch him when it is dark.

Chicken scratch is a terrible food for pigeons, any seed like corn that is broken up is dangerous for their crop and it does not supply the nutrition pigeons need, they are a totally different species and have different requirements.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's kind of you to feed him for a month and trying to secure him. If you come across Wild bird seeds or better, pigeon seeds , it would be healthier for him. Broken Corn is fine, but whole corn seed would be better:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts