Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In September 2015, Chester, CT a white pigeon with a leg band made our garage it's coop. We researched it's band number and called it's owner but no response. We thought it would stay a few days...but it is Dec. 25 and it is still here. It goes away during the day and returns at night. This is strange. When we are away for a few days and the garage is closed up it has no access to it. When we return so does it. I put out grain and water in the garage. I have caught it in a cage and handled it but it does not want to be caught or handled. There are feathers and poop everywhere. Our home is listed for sale so this is a problem. I wouldn't mind if the pigeon was friendly but it is not. What to do??:confused:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Please keep the bird housed in a carrier or cage for now, and don't release. You need to find the bird a home. The bird is domestic and used to being fed and housed, it is lost, but it has made your place its home.

What is the information on the band number? If you don't get a response from the owner, perhaps there might be another club member who will take the bird. This pigeon may not be friendly because it has been raised with others to home, so they sometimes have limited contact with humans.

You may be able to locate a local pigeon fancier and find a home for the bird, and/or you can post in our adoption section. Have you tried looking for a fancier in your area? The orginization/club where this bird is from would be your best resource to finding a new home, if the owner doesn't respond.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response and advice. I have checked with 2 pigeon "raisers" and both have told me there are 2 options: kill the bird or keep it housed forever as it will always come back to my garage. When the bird first appeared and we had tried to contact the owner (who did not respond) we took the bird to where the owner lived and released the bird. After returning home (1 hour away) the bird arrived at our garage a short time later. Leg Band: AU 2015 NRA 157 My question: where does it go during the day ... sometimes staying away all night. Mostly it just returns to the garage in late afternoon or before dark to eat and sleep for the night. Sometimes it stays in the garage for several days and doesn't go out at all. Weird !

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
The bird obviously finds your garage safe. Hope you will decide to keep him and not kill him. A third option: if you do not want to,keep him, please find him a home with someone near you who wants a pet pigeon or who keeps pigeons. You can post on the adoption forum here or put an ad on Craigslist or adopt a pet, or look under racing pigeon clubs in your area online by googling this and see if there is a local club with someone who might want to adopt the bird. Someone may want a pet pigeon who can keep him as a pet in an aviary with other pigeons who are not released. I hope you will decide to keep him. You have been chosen. We have been chosen by various animals including pigeons to be their owners/rescuers and consider it an honor and good karma.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Posting him on here with pictures may find him a home. Please don't post him on Craigslist, as there are a lot of people who would like to have him for not so good reasons, and they do check Craigslist for access to easy birds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your response. I know very little about pigeons...I've read alot on line but there is nothing like experience. Because it is a "homing" pigeon can it ever be "attached" to another coop. I've been told NO. Right now it's been staying in the garage for a straight couple of days. Then it will take off in the AM and usually comes home in the late afternoon. I've been told this is very unusual behavior. Quite a mystery. Appreciate anyone's ideas.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Not really so unusual, as he may be young and got lost. He found you, and has decided that your place is his home now.
It's usually hard to rehome a homer, as they will usually try to go home, hence the name. It isn't really safe for him to be out flying alone, as they are safer in a flock. But I doubt that he would be very happy confined to a cage. And it's kind of important for them to have a companion. They live to mate up, build a nest together, and raise babies.
Wonder where he goes when he stays out all night? Do you have feral flocks around your area?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.