Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found a racing pigeon yesterday wandering around a gas station, looking lost. He would only fly about 20 feet at the most. We captured it, took it home and gave it water and food according to the American Racing Union website. We found original owner through the band number on the Internet (date on band is 2012). We called the owner, who no longer owns the bird and doesn't know who owns it now. He suggested we keep him.

He's making cooing sounds this morning and we think he did eat some food and water. Should we let him go and hope he finds his way back home? Should we keep him? We have 4 chickens and a big backyard in San Jose, California, but what if he flies over the fence and gets eaten by a cat?

Thanks for your help!

John and Sue

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for catching the bird and caring for it.
Please keep the bird contained for now.

If the bird is not flying well or you cannot locate owner, he should not be released. He is either sick or is just starved and needs time to gain back weight and needs further care or wings might be clipped.

The bird is domestic and needs a loft that is predator and weather proof. It needs an enclosed aviary to fly in. If you cannot keep the bird perhaps you can find someone to adopt him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. How do we know if he can now fly without taking any chances?

We would love to keep him, but we do not have an aviary. Do you have any suggestions for where we could find someone in our area who would take him?

Thanks again!

John and Sue

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thanks for your reply. *.How do we know if he can now fly without taking any chances?
We would love to keep him, but we do not have an aviary.** Do you have any suggestions for where we could find someone in our area who would take him?

Thanks again!

John and Sue
* allow him to fly in an enclosed screen in porch or empty room.

** You can try to find a local pigeon fancier or pigeon club, perhaps inquire on the ARU website. You can also post in our adoption section.

Can you post a picture of the bird?

What does his poop look like and how much per day is he pooping? He should be pooping a lot of healthy looking dolips if he is getting enough to eat and feeling okay.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you have any scrap wood hanging round the place , it can be surprisingly easy to knock up a minnie loft if you have a drill and some screws which will offer him protection from the elements and predators , if he decides to stay you could add a landing board later . I also keep chickens and my birds happily live harmoniously together.

chances are he is just exhausted and needs a bit of time to rest and a good feed for a few days to a couple of weeks before he recommences his journey onward . A picture would be great .

good job on taking him in....shame there aren't a lot more people like yourseves !

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Errrrm .... I have re read my previous post and I think it is probably worth clarifying one of my statements.

I said that my chickens and pigeons get along harmoniously ... I didn't mean to imply that I house my pigeons and chickens together and I wouldn't recommend it , but my pigeons do venture on the ground and intermingle harmoniously in the yard on the ground together .

:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts