Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
ok I need some help with a sick pigeon.

I went to my bacnk at about 11:00 this morning. Next to the doors of the bank on the ground was a pigeon. I told my bf, if he is still there on the way out, I was picking him up. Well, he was still there, so I picked him. He was all fluffed up standing there....

I brought him home and checked him out. It is an adult....not sure on the age, but has really white ceres. Eyes, are open and alert for the most part. Wings and legs are fine....on the skinny side.

The main concern I think:
Breathing wasn't bad earlier, but has now (1:05) picked up. I have gave it some fluids and started it on baytril. His beak as to be put in the water....just the tip of the beak. It then drinks from that point on its own. Its breathing will pick up and then it will look like he is swallowing...

It won't stand on its own for long, and falls forward on its face---legs still in stand position. It is now kind laying down.

Its beak is open a bit...I assume to help in breath.

The vent is clear, no poop stains or smears anywhere on it.

Oh, there is a small odor coming from inside its mouth...I opened its beak to check if the throat was clear...and smelled a bad odor.

I have it warm, just offering water for now....maybe this evening I'll try some food...sound good or should I do that sooner??? I want to make sure that it is really hydrated..

I will try to post a picture, I know those help. No poops yet, so can't give any info on that.

I doesn't try to run off or fly away, seems calm....like it knows that I am trying to help...weird.

-Hilly

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Hilly,

Probably has been starving...

'Water' should be Eletrolytes...or, Electrolytes in ACV-Water.

Provide warmth...arrange cloths and obects so he can stand or be propped-up so he is not falling over forward.

Unsweetened fruit juice, 'tepid'...Apple Juice...would be good after 12 or 14 hours of previous Electrolytes...

Possibly has spoiled food residu in Crop...

'Medistatin' or 'Nystatin' would be a good idea...

If possible...by day two evening...if Urates are being made, and old previously stagnant poops are coming out for his getting rehydrated...'tube feed' thin nutritious formula.

Tiny Whole Seeds can be offered then after that...after a few small tube feeds over 12 hours say...once you see new poops from the formula.

He was starving for a reason...so...whatever that was, is likely still an issue...

Definitely treat with Medistatin or Nystatin...usually they will drink it...and it can be offered that way, in a tiny Cup...along with whatever else meds-wise or nutritious-water wise at this phase.

Metronidazole would be good...

Hard to say though what else meds-wise, since his issue may have been Crop related or systemic or who-knows...

Examine him very thoroughly for puntures or pellet-gun-wounds...palpate Crop to see if you feel anything low in it which could be foreign objects or old food-gunk or whatever...

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Yeah, get him on an anti-canker and Baytril if you've got it, immediately. You wouldn't want to feed him too much at a time in this shape because that alone could kill him.

Best of Luck!

Pidgey

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This little one just passed on..

I did end up giving electrolytes in water with AVC, just shortly after posting..... I thought it might help to perk him up. I know the electrolytes would help rehydrate. I was going to try food in an hour, cause he was moving a bit more.

Unfortunately, the more water this one drank the worse its breathing got.
Any ideas?

I don't get it, he was VERY willing to drink water, and eyes were open and alert.

Thank you both the replies!

Hilly

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm so sorry this bird didn't make it, Hilly. It really has been a rough day here for our members and the birds they are/were trying to help. I don't know off the top of my head why the intake of water seemed to make the condition of the bird worse. Thank you so much for trying to help.

Terry

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hilly........So sorry that the little one didn't make it.

Thank you for caring and taking him in. Please take comfort in knowing that this little one died in peace knowing he was loved and cared for. As you said it was weird, but he knew you were trying to help him.

I have no idea why the water made him worse, but you did the best you could, and sometimes we will never know the reasons why.

Regards,
Louise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts