Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. There is a pigeon on the ground in the corridor between my garage and foyer. I think he may have fallen out of the nest but I climbed up the ladder to the fire escapes above and could not find anything. He keeps chirping and I feel horrible for him! I don't know what to do. I once tried to rescue a pigeon before and called animal control who came out and told me that they would take it but they would end up euthanizing it, so I took him home. He died days later so I'm afraid to take this into my own hands right now. I'm afraid he'll get found by a cat or something and I don't want him just dying in the hallway. What should I do? I am in San Francisco, Twin Peaks area. Thank you.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You really should catch him and set him up in a cage. He will starve out there if he doesn't get eaten by a predator first. Please catch him and come back and we will try to help you with him.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If you can save him, do so. I will give you the contact info of some people in SF who can raise him/her for you. But please bring er/him in and come back with an update.

Thanks for caring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I caught him last night and set him up on my upstairs neighbor's deck. He's doing fine but he doesn't seem to be able to walk or fly. i don't know if he's broken from the 3 story fall. It would be great if you can help me with contact info. I have the day off today so it would be ideal if I can find a home for him today.

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I can't tell but are those yellow fuzzy feathers on his head? He may be too young to fly and might have been taking his first trial flight out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are fuzzy little feathers. Where he was trapped, he would have to fly straight upwards to get out and wasn't attempting to. I know he was there for at least a day before I came back from holiday and found him.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do you have any defrosted peas? He needs to be hand fed , if he doesn't eat seeds.

This will keep him hydrated if he cannot drink:

Here are some prewritten feeding instruction...

You can hand feed defrosted peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 30-50 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas make the crop feel lumpy and squishy.

Good luck..he needs to eat to stay alive until its found a place for him.
Where are u located in USA?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Looking at the size and the feathering I would see if he would take seeds and water by himself. He looks like he is almost out of the nest on his own. That is why he probably was on the ground. Just got himself into a tight spot and his parents couldn't help him. I have a baby right now that looks like that and he gets down to the food and water himself just takes him a little bit to get back to the nest(I help sometimes)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found out that the humane society of the peninsula would take him and was literally out the door when my neighbor called and told e that the momma and a sibling was up there looking for him this morning. He suggested trying to put him up on the ledge before I take him away, which I did. I just checked up on him, and as you can see, is being guarded by his momma, I think. I will keep a close eye on him as he will need to fly straight up into a 2ft-squared hole to be free. I noticed a sibling same age, who can fly. Hopefully he is just a late bloomer. :confused: I just wish thy wouldn't sit so close to the edge!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PS thank you to everyone for your replies. It's wonderful to know that there are people out there who care about a mere pigeon. My friends think I'm nuts!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It is normally better to keep them with the parents, but if he needs to be able to fly up and through a 2 foot hole to get out of there, then I don't see how he will be able to do that. He needs to learn to fly first, and that takes practice. If he could have done that, then he would have done it before. He could very well end up falling again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am closely monitoring the situation. His sibling seems to be flying.. Perhaps he is a late bloomer? I think it's a good sign that the momma is looking after him, but if I notice no progress, I will definitely take him to the humane society.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I found out that the humane society of the peninsula would take him and was literally out the door when my neighbor called and told e that the momma and a sibling was up there looking for him this morning. He suggested trying to put him up on the ledge before I take him away, which I did. I just checked up on him, and as you can see, is being guarded by his momma, I think. I will keep a close eye on him as he will need to fly straight up into a 2ft-squared hole to be free. I noticed a sibling same age, who can fly. Hopefully he is just a late bloomer. :confused: I just wish thy wouldn't sit so close to the edge!
Beautiful picture: Mother & baby reunited. I pray all goes well and today he can fly :) I hope cats are not around if he falls again.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hello...wow, a lot happens in 24 hours ! You have done very well. Yes, keep an eye. I am PMing you the contact info of 2 folks who can probably raise him/her and release. One is in the Outer Richmond, other is in Mission/Excelsior. Might be more convenient than driving down to S. Mateo.

The lightwell you describe is good and bad.....being so narrow it is pretty good in that predators usually would not venture in such a confine (hawks, for example). But being so narrow it also is a very challenging place for a fledgling to elevate out of. Do keep tabs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks Jaye, for the info. I checked on him this morning and he was just sitting there chirping away. Two birds were guarding overhead. I'm a bit worried about him though - his immobility and inability to fly or walk. I don't know if there is actually something wrong with his wing, or his legs, or if it's just too early. I know nothing about birds!

·
Registered
23 Posts
ChristineL

I am in SF. If your pigeon needs help again - I am happy to take it in if you aren't able. I have raised one baby pigeon & would welcome another.

Hopefully it will be alright with it's parents..

Bethany Elodi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I came home to check on him and didn't hear any baby bird chirping. Thinking the worst, I climbed up and peeked over the ledge where he was this morning and he was gone! But he wasn't! He was on the opposite ledge about 4 feet over and momma was watching from above. Somehow he got over there - I'm of proud of him, heehee!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, Bethany! Still keeping a close eye on him and I will definitely keep you in mind. Jaye also was kind enough to give me contact information to some kind folks like yourself :)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
That is good news...and Bethany, I am glad there is another Pigeon Person in SF ! I miss my old Pigeon friends and flock(s) there.....I moved up here about 2 years ago.

Yes, Christine, those small little hop-flights are exactly how a fledgling practices learning how to fly. They go short distances and slowly increase the distances, the one day they follow Mom and/or Dad out.

I am glad to hear he/she is doing that !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts