Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in South Africa, not many places where they rehabilitate the likes of pigeons! A week or 2 ago I noticed a pigeon nesting in a tree just outside my lounge window. You can see into the nest if you stand in the lounge. We had 2 terrible storms over the weekend but she faithfully remained in her nest looking after the little ones. I went out and bought a feeder with wild seeds to encourage her to stay as I had noticed there is no male helping her. I have not seen her since Sunday morning (it is now Tuesday). The little ones are about the size of a fist (body, tail and head make it a bit bigger) and they have some feathers but not much on their heads. My first instinct is to leave them alone. But I am reading that they need the father to help them fly and also I am not sure whether they have been fed since Sunday. They look ok from a distance. The ones breathing is very noticeable but the other one seems calm. Also they have been entirely on their own day and night. Should I just leave them alone or should I intervene? Also I have 5 cats (they are contained indoors and the back garden) so it will be difficult to bring them inside. Any advise/suggestions?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
First of all thanks a lot for your concern for little souls. Do you have any idea of their ages or you can post a pic so we can estimate about the ages and so why you don't see parents near nest. Usually when they are more than a week old, parents start leaving the nest and come only to feed babies. So may be that is the case so you don't see them around. If there is any other reason, they might need your help. Pls if you can take a pic and post here or tell how old they should be, it would be helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello - thanks for the response. The reason I think they are on their own, is that there is no male around. I have only ever seen a small pigeon (looks female - dull colouring and small, but what do I know??) in the nest with 2 babies. I have not seen her since Sunday, and I check all the time - I can see the nest if I look out my lounge window. Every time I get up during the night I go to the window to see if the mom (or dad) in the nest, but only ever see the 2 babies. I am not at home so can't take photos. I will look online to see if I can match up a photo. I am really worried that they are not being fed and don't want to look into a nest in the next day or 2 and find dead babies. How long do they survive without food and water? Do you know? See image of what they look like:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
This cute baby is almost of 2 weeks and you won't most likely see parents with them all the time at this age. Sometimes you won't even know when they come and leave like this time when you are out. May be they are being raised by single mother in case if male has been killed by a predator. You can see if their crops seem full that means they are being fed. Crop is the round area area below neck (Google for crop). Tell us if you see their crops seem full and then you don't need to worry. If she is a lone mother raising babies you should keep feed and water dish to make her task easy so she doesn't have to go far to forage for food and water. Also be careful the feeders don't catch attention of predators to nest.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah thanks so much. I have barely slept the last 2 nights! I do have a feeder outside I will also put some water out tonight. I will look up 'crop' as well. I might have to get the ladder out to check - my eyesight is not that good :( I just don't want to interfere with mother nature if I can help it. I was worried as I haven't seen an adult in the nest at all day or night.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Oh I understand completely, sometimes when there is any bird in problem on here, I am barely able to sleep and if I take a nap for some time, I wake up to check how is he or she. This is something from inside the heart, it is our love and care for them. Those babies are blessed to have someone around having deep love for them. Do tell me what you notice in their nest and about the crop. Also if you see their crops are empty, you might have to intervene but I hope it would not be the case most likely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So here is the update: Babies are fine. I got home yesterday, so anxious and worried, and I stood and looked at the babies for about 2 - 3 minutes. Their nest is very low in the tree and the tree is very bare so you can have a good look. They have more feathers. Their little chests are puffed out. They are active. One stood up and fluffed his wings. The other was busy cleaning himself. I went inside and again watched from the window (you can have a good look into the nest and it is eye level) and saw no signs of stress. I though as well if they had not been fed for 2 nights and 2,5 days they would be at deaths door. They would not look healthy and upbeat like they do. My decision is to leave them alone. I will monitor of course, but I think they are being fed (it looks like their crops are full). I did not want to stress them or myself any further by fetching a ladder and disrupting their lives. This morning when I left for work @ 06:00 they were wide awake and perky. So note to self: stop watching pigeons (its way too stressful)! :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
So here is the update: Babies are fine. I got home yesterday, so anxious and worried, and I stood and looked at the babies for about 2 - 3 minutes. Their nest is very low in the tree and the tree is very bare so you can have a good look. They have more feathers. Their little chests are puffed out. They are active. One stood up and fluffed his wings. The other was busy cleaning himself. I went inside and again watched from the window (you can have a good look into the nest and it is eye level) and saw no signs of stress. I though as well if they had not been fed for 2 nights and 2,5 days they would be at deaths door. They would not look healthy and upbeat like they do. My decision is to leave them alone. I will monitor of course, but I think they are being fed (it looks like their crops are full). I did not want to stress them or myself any further by fetching a ladder and disrupting their lives. This morning when I left for work @ 06:00 they were wide awake and perky. So note to self: stop watching pigeons (its way too stressful)! :)
I think you are making the right decision in leaving them be, at least for the time being. we do the best we can with the information we have available, and you were smart and responsible for taking the time to gather enough information to do what is in the birds best interest. you are like their own little guardian angel. you could always put up one of those motion activated cameras. if your anything like me you will still want to see mom feeding them, even if you know on a logical level that all is well. sounds like this will have a very happy ending.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly! It's not seeing the mom (the mom specifically as I have never seen the dad) that caused such anxiety. Also it was an abnormally cold weekend and they are in such an exposed area. The mom just looks so young and fragile herself. But I still haven't seen her. she must be around though, as the babies look fine. I can't satisfy my own misgivings by rushing out and 'rescuing' the babies when in fact it is all part of nature. We all need to leave well alone at the best of times. Once the babies have truly left the nest, I think I will block it so they can't lay eggs there anymore. The area is far too exposed. Thanks to all that have responded to my posts, this has been a very enlightening if not stressful adventure.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
LOL, you don't have to be stressed, whenever you feel anything odd, just write here, many people are here to help you recovering from the stress. Actually many times pigeon babies need human intervention, like if parents abandon them due to any reasons or killed by hawks or died or babies fall from the nests, there are rescuers groups who are ready to take them in and care for until released. We all do it whenever get a chance. That relief of saving lives is far better than this stress. So watch them just in case they need you but don't be stressed. We are always ready to help you.
I am glad to know that they are very well and must be fed by parents and you are quite relieved now.
Thanks for your love and care for them. Keep it up :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for all your advise Kiddy, you helped me a lot. I was really worried yesterday. But listening to advise and keeping calm really helped. At least now I know if I have a concern someone on this forum will respond. Go well and have a fantastic day!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Thanks again for all your advise Kiddy, you helped me a lot. I was really worried yesterday. But listening to advise and keeping calm really helped. At least now I know if I have a concern someone on this forum will respond. Go well and have a fantastic day!
My pleasure :) I completely understand your worries but now you know a lot about them, that could benefit someone some day I am sure. Keep your love up for animals, very few in this world think about them so much so they really need you but never feel stressed and before having any worries, write here.
You too have a great day ahead :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clover, bless you for caring! Hope they continue to do well.
Thanks for the encouragement. I will monitor them until I can't see them anymore. Hopefully by then they will be fully grown, happy little birds making nests preferably elsewhere so that I don't have to worry about their babies :) Nah - who am I kidding? I love the sound of birds in my garden, can't do without them.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
For animal lovers it is essential to have some of them around in garden singing, nesting, bathing etc. Those make our morning a beautiful one, quite relaxing not stressful. Lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For animal lovers it is essential to have some of them around in garden singing, nesting, bathing etc. Those make our morning a beautiful one, quite relaxing not stressful. Lol
Couldn't agree more. Just a quick update. I think I saw mamma yesterday and this morning. She was on the roof yesterday, watching the nest. she sat there for a long time. Again when I left for work this morning she was up bright and breezy sitting in the tree above the little ones. Not too many birds are up by the time I leave for work. The babies are too cute. They are all feathered up (they are looking like little puff balls) and they have tail feathers now. They are also very busy in the nest. I guess it won't be long before they venture out the nest and then my worries start all over again :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
you should share a pic of these anxiety inducing babies, they sound like they are as adorable as they were stressful for you :)

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Agree with wiggles and puddles :)
Also if they are of 2 weeks, they will start leaving the nest within 2 weeks for short flights. So be prepared for the flight sessions as well. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you should share a pic of these anxiety inducing babies, they sound like they are as adorable as they were stressful for you :)
Lol. Unfortunately I am a great worrier and not a warrior. But it is all good, now that I know all about pigeons (said tongue-in-cheek), I will know what to do next time. Of course now that I am educated in all things pigeon I will most probably not encounter this situation again!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts