Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Where do you live? It would be helpful to know in case someone wants to adopt the bird. Can you pls post a photo? Does she have any leg bands that would help find the owner? If you decide to keep her, people here can help with that too. Thank you for helping the bird!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found tumbler pigeon.

We are in greenville, NC. She does not have a band on her leg. Can't quite figure out how to post a picture to this site. Will keep tryIng. She is white with a tuft of feathers on her head and she has very feathery feet! Around her neck are light golden colored feathers; also a few golden and dark gray mixed in with her tail feathers. Quite a beauty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This bird is located in Washington North Carolina. We are 1 1/2 hours east of Raleigh and 1 1/2 hours west of the coast. 20 minutes from
Greenville North Carolina.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Is there a leg band? It could be somewhat hidden in the feet/leg feathers. This will have some identification numbers which may help find the owner/breeder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found pigeon

No leg band.
If there is anyone who would like to adopt her, please let me know asap. I've tried every wildlife organization in eastern North Carolina and received no assistance because they will only take birds if they are injured. I've spoken with five people who belong to pigeon clubs but all of them raise racing pigeons. One person wants to use him/her in weddings, which I don't really care for that idea. Another said people with racers would use him/her to get the racers to come back in. I don't know what's best, but I want him/her to be able to be free and have a home with other pigeons.
Thank you.
Donna

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Donna, thank you for continuing to look for a good home for him. It would be really unkind to make him return in wedding releases or in races as he is a fancy pigeon. If you are patient I think the right person will want to adopt him. Does he have any leg bands?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I would talk to that person again who does weddings. Find out what it is they want the bird for. Maybe they even have a website you could check out. They may very well be going to keep him with their other birds, but keep him in a cage just for the look, at weddings. People do that with pretty white birds. They are often kept in a pretty cage, but not flown with the racers. Nothing wrong with that. Better than being someones pet, alone in a cage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
found pigeon

I think I've found someone about an hour from me who is a member of the American Racing Pigeon Union who has a friend who raises these type of pretty pigeons. I believe in due diligence, so I am visiting them this weekend and taking Dufrane (temporary name for my found pigeon) with me just in case they have the good home we are looking for.

Will update when I learn more.

Thanks to everyone for their interest in assisting us finding Dufrane a home.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Would they be keeping him or just selling to someone else?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
found pigeon

He said he could keep him but he has only racers. His friend has others like this one; but he is checking with his friend first.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Often racers have what they call droppers. A bird that won't usually fly all that far. They keep it with the racers and when they want to call the racers back into the loft, they then release the dropper. He will usually not fly far and will stay with the loft. This gets the attention of the flyers, and is supposed to call them back in. I wouldn't want to give him to a racer. Is there no one in the area who keeps pigeons as a hobby to just enjoy them? A loft with a flock of pigeons that aren't racers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
found pigeon

The man I spoke with this morning explained to me what a dropper was because several other people I talked with told me they used droppers. I do not plan on giving him to this man (and he also did not want him). However, he told me about his friend who had the "pretty" pigeons. I have no intentions of giving him to anyone who is going to keep him caged and never let him be free to fly or someone who intends to use him as a dropper.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Many have lofts and attached aviaries that the birds can go out in. Some have large aviaries. The birds don't fly free, but then they don't get caught by hawks either. fancy feathered footed birds don't do so well out flying hawks. So some have different breeds of fancy birds but don't let them fly free. They're fine with a good aviary and other birds.
Sometimes flying free is not all it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Agree strongly with Jay3. A fancy pigeon will live longer if it does not fly free, and can be perfectly happy in the right aviary. We have six pigeons and don't let them fly free because of a large number of Hawks in the area. They have friends and mates and get to fly around, just not outside, and seem happy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts