Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The electric company had to remove a big tree from my back yard, about 30 minutes after they left I walked outside and there they were, two babies in their nest right next to my back door. Thank god the guys cutting the trees down had heart enough to place them on my back step! They seem to be about 10 days old, I gave them a little sugar water from a straw, and some cream of wheat. I've read up on the basics of how to care for them and am going to go to petsmart to get the formula I need.

Are they too young to be released when older? Should I just plan keeping them?

If so, I have a humongous cage in which they can stay but have 2 parakeets (small budgies, common household bird) and was wondering if they can stay together in that cage.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You probably can release them when they are older. It all depends on how tame they become so you'll need to wait and see.
You will not be able to keep them in the same cage with your parakeets.

Please review what you have read about care again prior to feeding.
It's critical to remember to not feed more food if the baby has food already in its crop but to wait until the crop does empty.
You will want to feed each baby 15-20ml or ccs at each feeding.

Let us know what kind of formula you purchase so we can give you tips to make it easier for you.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
be sure to wash your hands after you handle them ,before you tend to your budgies, just to be safe you do not transfer a disease.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
There may not be a disease to spread, but washing hands is always a good idea.
Hands should be washed after handling the parakeets and before handling the babies too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't really know what kind of pigeons they are, they are only 12 days old, but they already have some gray and black feathering...if you know would you tell me? :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I don't really know what kind of pigeons they are, they are only 12 days old, but they already have some gray and black feathering...if you know would you tell me? :)
They are Rock Doves also refered to as feral pigeons.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If it warm enough, I would try to keep the birds outside in a covered cage (like a rabbit hutch) if you plan on trying to release them later on. It can be a pain later on going to an from the outside cage, but it is what is best for the baby birds.
Hopefully if they are not too old, they will not become too frighten of you. When I was a youngster I had a pretty good success rate on raising the youngsters and releasing them.
Even after you release them, I would still leave food out for them until they (or if they) get used to finding food on their own.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I do disagree about keeping them outside at this age. Please keep them inside, away from predators and near you so you can monitor their progress.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts