Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I am new to this forum and am writing for some help. I live in Ft Lauderdale FL and found two white doves in my apt complex. I volunteer at an animal rescue but we do not have birds and I am at a loss as what to do. One did fly a bit but the other does not although she did flap a wing. I was able to get them into a cat carrier and one has settled down and is calm. The other is standing and has her feathers all fluffed out. I do not know the sexes but assume one is male and one female. We have a Wildlife Care Center here run by the SPCA. I was going to take them there. Is that the best place? I did notice one or both have green poop. Please let me know if there is some other place I should take them to in order to get them some help.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi BabrbD, Thank you for helping these birds.
They are most probably released on wedding or other ocassion. Keep them warm, give them water in deep dish (at least 3~4 cm) and give them wild bird seeds.
My best advice for you will be to post your location and someone will be able to help. SPCA is solution, but I would post here for adoption. There are a lot of people willing to help and they will take good care of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. Is there another place for me to post my location? I am in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I am just worried one is injured or sick since they did not fly away when I captured them. If from and event wouldn't someone be looking for them? I got bird seed from a neighbor who has birds but they have not eaten. Another neighbor gave them bread earlier in the day which she said they did eat.
Thank you for any assistance.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They could be babies. Maybe not really flying yet, and maybe don't even know how to eat or drink on their own. They could be starving and dehydrated. Can you post a picture of them? Do you know if they are drinking?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They did eat bread today and were near water, but I did not see them drink. A neighbor did see them eat. Sorry, how can I post a picture? It is asking for the url where it is posted? Can I email you directly? Thx

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have sent you a PM. If you email me the pics, I will post them for you.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
No they're good pics. Thanks. Will get them Posted.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't like the way the poops look. And they are young pigeons. Pretty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Poop this morning I saw outside was bright green - like mint jelly. It is almost 2am now and I need to go to bed. I will check in tomorrow but I would like to get them someplace tomorrow. Have to work at 9am and if I don't take them somewhere they will be alone all day until after 6pm. How old do you think they are? thanks again Jay.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is one missing feathers around the face, or is that just the way the picture looks? She is probably puffed up because she is cold. Could be sick. I sent an email to someone. If she is still up, she will come and look. You can try to keep them warm for now, and if you have any frozen peas or corn, you can defrost them under warm running water til they are thawed and just warm. Then you can hold the birds next to your body, and put them in way to the back of the throat. They should swallow them.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Yep, they are squeakers, the poop is bit watery, byt it may be because of cold, stress, starvation etc. They are so nice looking.
If they are not eating alone, get some frozen peas/corn. Defrost them under the running hot water until slightly warm. Get one youngster in your lap. Whap him in something like towel, old t-shirt loosely, just to prevent him from flapping wings. Open his beak gently, and pop in corn/pea in the mouth. Push it slightly down and let him swallow.
Repeat procedure with 10~20 peas and then take another youngster. The amount should be incerased gradually.
Feed them twice a day 40~50 pieces per feed each.
I would give them mix of Apple Cider Vinegar and water (1 teaspoon in 1 liter of water) if they would like to drink. Check their poop after a day. It should firm up.
Someone from your area may be soon online.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
These places are in Florida

Exotic Bird Hospital
Owner: Rhoda Stevenson, DVM, Dipl ABVP Avian
8820 Old Kings Road South
Jacksonville, FL 32257
904-256-0043
Fax: 904-256-4673

Garrick Brian W DVM
130 S. Flamingo Rd
Pembroke Pines, FL 33027
(954) 538-0212

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
LOL. Hi Plamenh. Two minds, but with a single thought..............Peas and corn!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They are very pretty birds. How old would you say Plamenh 3 1/2 - 4 weeks?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sorry you have to work in the morning. I know it's late. Do you have any frozen peas or corn? And you need to make sure they are drinking. Dip their beak gently into some water, but don't cover their nose. They may drink.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Make sure where ever you bring them that they are pigeon friendly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have any peas or corn - cracked corn in seeds a neighbor gave me. Should I do this tonight or let them sleep? I was talking to them and they were falling asleep. I have them in a bathroom with just a night light. I have cats so I need them in a separate place. They just seem so tired. Poor babies. I had no idea they were so young.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts