Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I found a pigeon 2 days ago he was on his back and I thought he was dead but when I was leaving the gym I saw him move his tail so I walked over and he raised his head up. He was covered in poop/diarrhea. So I picked him up and got him in a dog bed and he was lying down, I offered him water from a water bottle lid and he drank it like crazy. He seemed alert. I checked his wings and legs and nothing seems broken. I brought him home and he was unable to stand up and walk or fly. So I gave him some crackers, bread. Next morning I set up a huge guinea pig cage outside and he's in there all day (indoors at night) he is now eating pigeon food, he is walking a little bit but when I take him out to let him walk on the grass he just face plants and struggles to stand up if I help him walk around he can do it but not by him self and his chest bone sticks out alot. I gave him a bath and he looks better but unable to walk. What could be wrong with him. Will he get better. Should I have brought him to the humane society the said they would most likely put him to sleep.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I brought him home and he was unable to stand up and walk or fly.
I found three pigeons with Cocidiosis - like diarrhea that had their legs paralysed. Two vets told me is because Coccidiosis affected the nervous tracts that command the legs. How look his droppings, are small, round, dark with an white part or large, diarrhea-like (shapeless), dark-green?

So I gave him some crackers, bread.
That is bad, bread will compact inside the crop and block it.

I gave him a bath
That is bad. Never do again. Pigeons do bath by themselves when they feel is not harming them. If you bath them when they are sick, you can cause them big harm or death.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The pigeon was probably dehydrated and starved to the point of not being able to stand, when you got him. Keep up the feeding and let him gain some strength....the chest bone sticking out is a sign that he is too thin.
Yes, don't be in a hurry to bathe him yet....pigeons need good warmth especially when sick. Keep him in a warm quiet place. Observe his poop---colour, consistency..

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for trying to help.

Please do not bring any pigeons to the humane society in the future, they do very little for these creatures and have next to no knowledge about pigeons.

He was starved and just needed time to regain his strength.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi I only bathed him because I have kids and dogs and I dont want any of them getting parasite. He seems much better. His poop is green and watery. Do I need to feed him anything other then pigeon/dove food. What are grit?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi I only bathed him because I have kids and dogs and I dont want any of them getting parasite. He seems much better. His poop is green and watery. Do I need to feed him anything other then pigeon/dove food. What are grit?
Sick birds should not be bathing, the bird will bathe on its own when it is feeling better. Right now, he may just be starved and need to eat and drink. I wouldn't worry about getting grit, priority is to get the weight back on him and get some probiotics for the bird or organic ACV and get the gut bacteria on track. His poop should improve in consistency.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im sorry to bother you. My pigeon has an outdoor cage and an indoor cage for night time. I went out to get him tonight and he was on his back with his head in his bowl. I thought he was dead I scooped him up and he was just fine I brought him in and he ate and drank. Now he is sleeping. Is this normal should I be worried.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It is completely abnormal to find a bird on its back. He seems to be really weak...there is the possibility of drowning, so do not leave water near him. Offer him water say every 5 hours, and take the bowl away after he has drunk.
Does he tumble about, or seem to have balance issues? Is his poop getting better, or is it still watery? Watery, bad smelling poop could mean some sort of infection, like paratyphoid..
Check inside his mouth for bad, odor, white deposits...of canker. Canker is common in weak and sick pigeons.
Is he pooping 15-20 times a day? If not, he might not be getting enough nourishment. He could be just eating less because he is weak, it would be better to hand feed him for a week or so, and see how he improves. Feed him till the crop feels mushy, and wait another 4 - 6 hours for the crop to empty fully before the next feeding. Offer him water after every feeding.
I suggest to keep him indoors till he gains some strength in him. If possible, observe his movements and find out what must have caused him to come into the back-laying position..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again he seems ok. He is pooping about 15-20 times a day. His mouth looks perfect no smell no white marks. He does shiver when he sees me and when he doesn't see me he is not shivering. What can I feed him other then pigeon food. His crop is sticking out and somewhat firm this morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok my pigeon is still pooping diarrhea nothing is formed and when I was looking at him he pooped just water. It was literally water. Every bird vet I call won't see him because he's wild. I live to Canada and I can't just buy medication I have to see a vet. My only option is to bring him to the wildlife center. Do you guys have any suggestions.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The crop can get impacted sometimes, because of many reasons. Normally the crop has to empty in 4-8 hours, but sometimes it gets blocked and there is no food digested, hence no poop formed.
Feel his crop...does it feel hard with food from the previous day? If so, do not feed him further. Give only lukewarm water with a bit of ACV/or applesauce, and massage the crop gently to get the food moving.

The shivering is probably due to fear, but since he is sick, a heat pad would help him. Keep him on a heat pad set on low, with a towel beneath him.
Please remember, do not feed until the crop has emptied fully...give him plenty of water and continue the crop massages until the crop has emptied fully. Only after that, resume feeding, with only small amounts initially.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Can you post a picture of him? Also a picture of his droppings?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The shivering is rather a sign of joy. This is what some of my pigeons do when see me, especially those left single in a room for some hours. They get bored alone and become happy when see you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts