Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
A few days ago I rescued a juvenile pigeon who can't walk or fly and generally acts very strange for a pigeon that appears to have just fledged.
The bird I found, which I named Cipsie, I found at a train station just sitting at the edge of one of the garden beds. I walked up to it to see if the pigeon would walk away and to my surprise, it just sat there and didn't seem to mind my presence. I put my hands out and picked it up and still, it didn't mind. There were some construction workers who were working nearby and they said that it had been there all day and a (Australian) magpie attacked it at some point but it looked uninjured. I brought it home, placed it on top of a towel and it just stayed there. I got Cipsie to drink out of a cut and hand-fed her some thawed peas and cord as she didn't seem to know how to eat seeds (picked them up in beak but dropped and didn't swallow). I made a little nest for her out of a cardboard box which she very much likes and after another day she has figured out how to eat small seeds but I still hand-feed her peas and corn as treats.
Now for the weird stuff:
First of all she doesn't seem to be able to walk or fly, she sits in her little nest all day and doesn't try to leave. She doesn't even stand on her feet, only on her knees even though her feet look fine. The only movement she really does is preen, stretch her wings and occasionally turn in her little nest-box, which required a lot of effort (and flapping). Photo of her sitting on her knees in her nest box:
Bird Grey Fawn Comfort Beak

The weirdest part is, she has tried to get out of the nest-box three times! Once when I brought her back to where I found her (she hopped out of her nest-box when I placed it on the ground and just sat there in the dirt trying to nibble and play with the sticks and leaves that were in front of her) and the other two times when I was carrying the box while catching the train (one time she hopped onto my hand and I swear she stood normally like a pigeon perching on my finger). I thought this might make sense for a baby pigeon but she seems to be fully fledged! She has no yellow bits in her feathers and under her wing looks fully grown!
Neck Bird Snout Foot Human leg

Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Chemical compound

Second part to the weirdness is she has never had any fear of me, anyone at home or while at university. She seems perfectly happy with me to pat her and give her scratches around her head, neck and chest and even seems to preen my fingers back! Strangely though, she also preens one of my friend's fingers too when they scratch her chest. Cipsie began to preen herself on the second day of being with her, and even do it while at university with other people in the class. She also has not been making sounds, not even squeaking. I can't tell if she is imprinted or not.

The third part is that she does this strange tail twitch, she frequently twitches/shakes her tail from side to side (the type of thing pigeons do after they do the 'whole body shake') but she did this every few minutes. I was worried she was constipated as she also seemed to do a little squeaking when doing a poo as if it was a struggle to push it out. However, this behaviour seems to have reduced significantly after I gave her a few drops of olive and canola/rapeseed oil earlier today. I make sure to clean her nest-box regularly and gave her a bath and made sure her cloaca was clean

I have made sure to check the mouth/throat for canker and I gave her some water with a little apple cider vinegar in it. She seems to be pooping fine and regularly now while eating, drinking and generally being a happy pigeon, except for being unable to walk and fly plus being strangely comfortable around humans for being found at a train station with pigeons nesting in that area.

Does anyone have any idea why she doesn't stand up, walk or fly and why she is so comfortable with humans?
My only ideas are that maybe someone hand-raised her, realised she was unwell and then left her at a place where pigeons hang out. Or perhaps her nest was where humans gathered/walked past very frequently (eg the train station platform) which means she is comfortable around humans and tried to leave the nest but couldn't fly or walk due to an illness.
As for the illness, I'm not really sure I saw something about when pigeons lay eggs they can sometimes get their legs paralyzed but never heard about this with just poos.

What are your guys thought?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Definitely a youngster, too young to lay eggs. While reading your post I also thought you might have a handraised pigeon.

Do you supply her with calcium with added Vit D3 and a general vitamin supplement? She might be lacking these and that's why she is not walking.

Looks like this one is a keeper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good news! Cipsie managed to (with a lot of flapping and effort) stand on the edge of the nest-box!
Bird Beak Feather Wing Wood

Her balance is terrible though and she flapped a lot to stabilise herself, but she managed to sit here for about 10 minutes.
I'm feeling happier that she seems to be getting better and hopefully, she'll get better now and she'll become my companion. I guess she was just a late bloomer.
I'll post if any more updates

Do you supply her with calcium with added Vit D3 and a general vitamin supplement? She might be lacking these and that's why she is not walking.
I think you might be right. I found her in the garden bed and I think she was in the sun all day. Perhaps she was in need of vitamin D, but her being left in the sun was what she needed and she just needed a few more days for the calcium to get in her bones and that. Just a guess.
Anyway, I'm gonna get the vitamin supplements just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts