Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about 15 months ago, a white pigeon came to my house with the following information on bands affixed around his legs: blue band-SHU 2016 and on the opposite side 340; red band:jovan 1967. at first it was a novel situation, but since he found a mate (also white, female) they've had two off-springs. now, with the crop and droppings all over the garage, the situation is not so cute, anymore. if a birder were to come and rescue these birds, i'd appreciate it very much.
you can reach me at [email protected] as well as replying in this thread.
I live in brunswick, ohio, where I found the bird.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
found bird

thanks cwebster. that post was the one that prompted me to register and hopefully find somebody who will adopt the birds or claim ownership of the banded bird.
phil:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The SHU bands are very hard to trace. I wouldn't even bother at this point. You just need to find someone who wants them. Must be someone around.
Would be better off having them in a small loft in the back yard if possible. Also, switching out the eggs for fake eggs, so they would sit on them for the few weeks, and no babies hatching would be a good idea. If you just take the eggs from them, they will lay right away again, and eventually the hen will deplete herself of calcium which will cause her all kinds of problems.

How did he find a mate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found bird

hey jay3,
thanks for the "switch" idea! next time the hen lays, that's what i'll do. yeah, i'm hoping that somebody will want them soon.
i'll check into the small loft idea , too.
as for how he found a mate, I really don't have a clue. think he put an ad in craig's list?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Lol, everyone uses Craig's list eh? :D

Look on eBay for fake eggs and remove as they lay so you're not taking a life that's already begun, two to three days max after laying. I got my solid plastic fakes on eBay and use them all the time, put them in your shirt for a few minutes so as they feel the same to the bird sitting. Yes they are cute, in fact they're adorable but you do need to control their breeding otherwise you'll be overwhelmed with birds, lol - as you are already finding out.
Good luck with finding them homes - a small loft would be great if you'd like to keep them and not gain any more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
found bird

thanks, fredah, for the added info about the small loft and fake eggs. definitely will try both in a couple of weeks, if no one adopts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts