Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I was told about a white dove hanging around at my husbands landfill. I looked it up online and found out they do not live well in the wild. My brother and son went back to see if it was still there and it was so they brought it home. She seemed to be doing ok considering, just kinda fluttering around the yard and picking at the gravel in the yard and eating little pieces of bread crumbs we were feeding her. We made her a little place to stay and sleep temporarily in a plastic bin/tote. I purchased her some wild bird food with small seeds like millet etc. from the grocery store for that night and the next day (yesterday) went to Petco and got her some grit and mite and lice spray. She has/had what looked like little dashes all over her. She really seemed to have a lot of those. I don't know anything about birds, I do know they carry mites but this just seemed quite excessive. Plus, if she's going to be an indoor pet of course we want her to be clean, comfortable and free of bugs. I decided to try to keep her, something about her just feels right and read they are pretty easy pets to keep. She doesn't try to fly out of her tote and I thought maybe she was just in a bit of shock and trying to adjust but I take her out and set her down on the ground and she doesn't move from there at all. She stays puffed up all the time. She was eating pretty good and pooping plenty but as I watch her today it seems she may not be eating as much as she was and she is still just sitting there. We really do not have a lot of money right now to bring her to a vet, with all the experiences I've had bringing my dogs and cats it's always at least a hundred dollars or more to treat small ailments. I have lots of left over human antibiotics and I know what dosage each pill is. If anybody has any idea if I should crush part of one up and try to feed it to her. I have cephalexin, bactrim, amoxicillin, just to name a few. Of course I know she can't have a 500 mg pill but maybe a tiny sliver of one, would be like 25mg or 50. Any help on what I could do would be great. I'm really worried about her now and I would love to keep her but I feel bad that I can't afford to take her to the vet.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Thanks for helping this little one out, I don't like the sound of the fluffing up, decrease in appetite and lethargy. I myself would start this little one on the Bactrim you have (Trimethoprim/Sulfa) if you tell me the strength I can give you instructions on how to mix and dose it. Do you think you could post a photo of this guy and is there any way you can you weight her? Here's how to post photos: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=525049&postcount=15 .Please do not give her any free access going forward to outside.

You can pick up a caged bird lice & mite spray at almost any pet store, here is what you want: http://www.petco.com/product/102342/8-in-1-Ultra-Care-Mite-And-Lice-Bird-Spray.aspx , just a note that if you don't get this brand, any brand you do get should be pyrethrins based (a natural, safer insecticide). Just cover her face/head and spray her all ove,r and under her wings as well, most times one application should do the trick.

Good luck with her,

Karyn

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Bactrim tabs say this "SMZ-TMP DS TAB (sub for BACTRIM DS TABLET)" and when I look it up on pill wizard it says they are Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim DS 800 mg / 160 mg.

I just took a couple pictures and I will upload now. Give me just a second.
Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Here are your instructions for the Bactrim, as she certainly does look under the weather. I want you to take one of the Bactrim (Trimethoprim/Sulfa) tablets and cut it evenly in half, and put 1/2 away. The other 1/2 I want you to grind into as very fine a powder as you can, I use a shot-glass and the end of a kitchen knife the has a rounded end on it. After it is finely ground/powdered, I want you to add into this powder 10mL of either pancake syrup of honey (10mL = 2 teaspoons, but you must use measuring spoon used for baking, scape spoon out well). Stir the powdered Trimethoprim/Sulfa and syrup together well, cover and let sit 20 minutes, stir well again and you will have a 4.8% Bactrim suspension to dose this little one with.

I want you to dose her 0.25cc (12mg), this is to the middle of the first and second lines on the 1cc syringe and for reference will be about 5 drops of medicine. If you do not have a syringe, you can use an eye dropper and give the suspension (5 drops). Whether it is with a syringe, or an eye dropper, you will place one drop at a time into her mouth and let her tongue the medicine down. Keep in the refrigerator between use, and stir well each time you use it, You can get a 1cc syringe, the kind without an attached needle, at any drug store, the eyedropper if just a fill-in, please get a 1cc syringe to be precise.

She looks thin through the chest area, so I am thinking 250-300g give or take. The dose I just gave will be fine, but best we get it exact and to do this we need a weight for her, any friends, family neighbors with a kitchen scale you could borrow for a minute?

Karyn

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll go grind the pill now and add it with the syrup. I have to run by pharmacy to pick up medicine for myself and while I'm there I will quickly grab a 1cc syringe. I will look around to see if they might have a little kitchen scale that I can purchase there. Thank you so much. I will let you know if I can get a weight.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I'll go grind the pill now and add it with the syrup. I have to run by pharmacy to pick up medicine for myself and while I'm there I will quickly grab a 1cc syringe. I will look around to see if they might have a little kitchen scale that I can purchase there. Thank you so much. I will let you know if I can get a weight.
OK, but get the dose I suggested into her and we can make adjustments with her next dose, if we know her true weight, as I think it's important she get on the meds ASAP and the dose I suggest will be safe for a broad range of weights, will be back in a few hours.

Karyn

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a medicine dropper I had here from when the kids were little and safely got 5 drops in her. Thank you so much. I'm running to the pharmacy now and then we can talk about how often she needs the medicine and for how many days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to buy a kitchen scale and she weighs exactly 7 oz. I also got a 1 ml insulin syringe from the pharmacist.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
OK, glad you got a weight on her, she is lighter than I thought, she weighs about 200g, so we are going to adjust down the dose, from 0.25cc (12mg, 5 drops), down to 0.20cc (9.6mg, 4 drops, second line on a 1cc syringe) for her doses going forward, and actually many times it's good to get a bit more meds into them on the first dose, called a loading dose, when starting. You will dose her every 12 hours and she will be on meds about 10 days.

Can you take a few more photos of her a little further back, I was having trouble making her out well in the prior photos, I'll ask another member to have a look and see what she thinks.

I was a bit rushed before so a few more questions; any sign of wounds or scraps on her (give her a good going over, taking your time to part her feathers), can you have a look inside her mouth and tell us if you see any growths (should be clear with pinkish/red tissue), can you also post up a photo of her fresh droppings (poop), what exactly are you feeding her?

Karyn

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am feeding her some store brand wild bird food. I put it in a container with a lid so I threw away the package but I know it consisted of millet seed and others. At petco I got her some Kaytee hi-cal grit. She has a lot of little dash looking bugs all over her. I sprayed her yesterday with UltraCare Mite and Lice bird spray. It didn't seem to do much good so I sprayed her again a couple hours ago. It says to only use a few sprays at a time and no more than twice a week but I was wondering if you think I could spray her again as upon further examination to check for wounds I see that she still has them EVERYWHERE. I checked her and saw no visible wounds or scrapes but she does have a protruding rib cage. The inside of her mouth has no growths but appears pale pink. I will post new pictures in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Did you spray under her wings, as this is their favorite hideout? If the wild bird seed has large items like whole corn, whole peas and sunflower seeds, I want to to take the time to remove these and leave the smaller food items for now. Does the scale you picked up have a button to go to grams on it, as best we weigh her in grams, it's a little more precise and I would like you to weigh her each day, for the next little while, to monitor her weight.

Karyn

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry I didn't realize the dropping picture was so blurry but it's pretty watery as you can see.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
sorry I didn't realize the dropping picture was so blurry but it's pretty watery as you can see.
Again, she really does look like she is ill, glad you had some meds on hand to start treatment, I am hoping we caught her in time. I actually prefer seeing a dropping looking wet to moist when they are ill, as at least I know they are getting fluids into themselves, which is important. The medicine she started, the Trimethoprim/Sulfa is quite a good medicine for a number of types of infections that can make them ill. The one thing, because she is so light, that may be an issue, or even a co-infection, is the possibility she could have a worm infection (this requires a different type of medicine to cure). If she does not look a bit better in about 48h, I wanted to put on your mind that she may need a fecal exam done, this test will look for worm eggs in her droppings. Many vets will do a fecal exam, without having to see a bird, and they may cost $35, give or take a bit. I know you said things are tight right now for a vet, but I wanted to put this on your mind.

Would you happen to have a heating pad around the house, the kind without an auto-shut-off?

Karyn

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
As for what kind of pigeon this is, it's more than likely a mix. A homer or roller mix perhaps. They don't usually have feathered legs but it does occur in both breeds. Of course it is kinda hard to tell when the poor thing is all fluffed up. Could be a highflier as those wings are pretty long. She is definitely stressed out if nothing else. Could just be starving and hurt rather than an actual disease. Those things alone take a lot out of a bird. But it's best to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi guys! Sorry to take so long to reply back. I am also a mother of three boys so I have carpool, dinner, football practice and everything else. :) Believe it or not she does seem to be getting even just a touch bit better. My son was teasing her that he was going to take some of her seeds and she kept taking the seeds out of his hands and lightly biting his fingers. Awwww, what a sweetie she is! I just love her. Yes my scale does grams and ounces I am just more used to lbs and oz which is why I was looking at that but for now on I'll look at the grams which yes, that would be 200. I hope we caught whatever it is on time too, whether it be starvation or a bacteria and I will put in my budget for a fecal. I will call around to see if a vet could do that for me. Believe it or not my sister is a veterinarian I just have not been able to get a hold of her as she just moved out of state (Georgia) and is doing her internship at UCdavis in California! She is actually a vet pathologist so she deals with them more when they are dead unfortunately. I may be able to get some contacts from her for the fecal though. Dobato thank you so much for your kindness, patience, and concern I will give her another dose very early tomorrow morning then weigh her and report back to you. And MaryofExeter, wow, I never would have thought that she could be a mix. I have never heard of a roller I'll have to look it up.
Oh, I do have a heating pad, not to confident about it's safety, I should have thrown it away years ago but if I had a working one what would you recommend I do with it?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts