Two days ago I was told about a white dove hanging around at my husbands landfill. I looked it up online and found out they do not live well in the wild. My brother and son went back to see if it was still there and it was so they brought it home. She seemed to be doing ok considering, just kinda fluttering around the yard and picking at the gravel in the yard and eating little pieces of bread crumbs we were feeding her. We made her a little place to stay and sleep temporarily in a plastic bin/tote. I purchased her some wild bird food with small seeds like millet etc. from the grocery store for that night and the next day (yesterday) went to Petco and got her some grit and mite and lice spray. She has/had what looked like little dashes all over her. She really seemed to have a lot of those. I don't know anything about birds, I do know they carry mites but this just seemed quite excessive. Plus, if she's going to be an indoor pet of course we want her to be clean, comfortable and free of bugs. I decided to try to keep her, something about her just feels right and read they are pretty easy pets to keep. She doesn't try to fly out of her tote and I thought maybe she was just in a bit of shock and trying to adjust but I take her out and set her down on the ground and she doesn't move from there at all. She stays puffed up all the time. She was eating pretty good and pooping plenty but as I watch her today it seems she may not be eating as much as she was and she is still just sitting there. We really do not have a lot of money right now to bring her to a vet, with all the experiences I've had bringing my dogs and cats it's always at least a hundred dollars or more to treat small ailments. I have lots of left over human antibiotics and I know what dosage each pill is. If anybody has any idea if I should crush part of one up and try to feed it to her. I have cephalexin, bactrim, amoxicillin, just to name a few. Of course I know she can't have a 500 mg pill but maybe a tiny sliver of one, would be like 25mg or 50. Any help on what I could do would be great. I'm really worried about her now and I would love to keep her but I feel bad that I can't afford to take her to the vet.