Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a white dove on the stairs of my back porch. It flew up onto my neighbor's shoulder. It flew from there to the stairs. I picked it up. It was very tame and calm. It seems to be uninjured.
I put it into my kitty's pet carrier. I gave it a little bit of water and crushed corn flakes.

I live in Chicago, across the street from a northside beach. I am a block away from a large cemetery.
My neighbors have reported seeing this bird for a few days now. I have been doing bird rescue research for 2 hours now, and am at a standstill. Now what?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. (=^_^=)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your intervention.

Here is the first responder link on what to do for this bird: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f108/basic-steps-to-saving-the-life-of-a-pigeon-or-dove-8822.html

Please keep bird contained as it is domestic and used to being housed and fed. It is also a sitting duck for a predator attack left on its own.

Could you get some wild bird seed or pigeon seed for it to eat asap? It is probably starved and/or may be ill. It needs to regain weight and corn flakes is not good food for them.

Does the bird have a band around its leg?... if so, we may be able to find its owner, if not you can adopt it out, or see if there are any local pigeon fanciers in your area who may ant the bird.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.
I will get seed for it tomorrow. What else can I feed it today? I read somewhere in my research that they can eat moistened cat food kibble.

·
Registered
219 Posts
it might be a dove release bird. you said you live near a cemetery. does the bird have a band on it's leg? you can try to find out who it belongs to by looking up dove release in the Chicago area. can you post a picture of the bird?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Doveman, It is definitely a dove, and it doesn't have a band on it's leg. It likes to perch rather than stand. It is very calm, and was able to sleep through my conversations with my curious neighbors.
When you say popcorn seeds, do you mean kernels? No peas but I have lentils. Should I crush them a bit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The Dove slept well. This morning I gave her peas, popcorn kernels and water. After a half an hour, she began cooing. It is so pleasant and sweet a sound to hear from her.
I'll let you know how the wounds on her face progress. They are minor, but I am sure she was quite traumatized by her ordeal. (=^_^=)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts