Pigeon-Talk banner

Found white homing pigeon with NO tags

Tags
found bird
1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Kat3lyn5 
#1 ·
A white pigeon was flying around the arena at the farm where I keep my horse. It was captured and is now resting in the bathroom with cockatiel food and water. The humane society said to let it rest for a day and then release it and it will find it's way home. There are a lot of hawks in my area so I'm not sure if that is the best thing for it. It has no tags but appears to be very docile and it sat on my arm while I pet it. I am willing to keep it but I am unsure what size cage to purchase if I do. Please let me know what you think would be best for this bird.

Thanks

#2 ·
Thank you for taking action and capturing it.

A docile acting bird is a sign that the bird is sick, as it has no energy to fight, or it is a pet and is lost.

The humane society is wrong, the bird may be sick, and/or starved and lost.

Please feel the keal/breast bone. If it is sharp then the bird is starved and cannot fly due to having no energy to spare. Make sure it is eating well, wild bird seed will do. Keep bird warm and out of drafts of air.

Thanks again.

#3 ·
It was flying around the room but after I caught it, it sat on my arm. I don't live there but when I go back tonight I will check it's keal bone. I just need to know what size cage to house it in while I monitor it as the owner of the farm wants it out of the bathroom.

#5 ·
It's keal isn't sharp and it appears to be healthy and alert, it can fly and is eating. I'm not sure if it is drinking yet because it is hard to tell with the water bowl and I haven't seen it drink. I filled the water completely so I should be able to tell now. As far as I can tell this bird is in good condition I'm just not quite sure what to do with it.

#6 · (Edited)
If the bird is healthy, and acting quite tame-then it probably is someone's lost pet. Do not release.

You can try putting up flyers that you found a bird and contact info. Do not describe the bird, and if someone calls then let them describe the bird.

Also check craigslist and post on there.

OH!!!! I just remembered the following thread......Are you anywhere near New York? We just had someone lose a white bird without a band, read the thread:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f24/oh-no-henri-flew-away-help-74385.html?highlight=lost+white+bird

#7 ·
Ok I will definitely do that. I posted in that thread as well. If I don't find the owner for this bird I am willing to adopt it I'm just not sure what the care for these birds are. I own a parakeet so I know general bird care and handling but not the specifics for pigeons. I have bought a 23" length cage for now but I'm not sure if that is suitable.

#9 ·
The pigeon definitely has an upper respiratory infection (it's cere is turning brown) I called the vet and I can't really afford to take the bird. My next thought was a broad spectrum antibiotic so I called all my local pet stores and none of them carry antibiotics so does anyone know a good place that I can order them online that ships to Canada?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.