Pigeon-Talk banner

Found white pigeon and need help in SO.CAL

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jaye 
#1 ·
My Grandfather was at a barber shop today and had seen a white pigeon standing by the door of the place. The owner told him the pigeon just appeared there 3 days ago and just walks around all day. So my Grandafther was concerned for him and brought him home. We fed him and he was hungry, he inhaled the bird seed down and we have him in an extra bird cage to care for him in the meantime.

He seems very gentle and will allow you to pick him up and is a pure white pigeon. I'm in the San Diego area and tried looking and calling for places that could take him, and the only rescue people in our county only take exotic birds, which I thought defeats the purpose. Are there any pigeon rescues in So.Cal out there? I don't know what to do and who to call. I've tried searching endless online and it seems there is people who will take every single animal out there except for pigeons. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
You and your grandfather are really great people to help this pigeon out. I hope others will respond to your post, that live near you that can help you out. He sounds like a great pet pigeon, are you sure you don't want to keep him. They are wonderful pets. Does he have any bands on his legs? I'm sure other will be along with more information for you, again thank you for helping him out. min

#5 ·
Unfortunately he doesn't have any bands on his legs. He's a very big pure white pigeon and seems very tame. We were thinking he might of been raised hand fed by someone. Having him as a pet would be nice, but we just don't have the time now for another permanent pet right now honestly. hopefully someone will guide me. Thanks so much for the kind response :)

#3 ·
If he just walks around and doesn't fly...something is wrong.

#6 ·
King Pigeon, I can almost guarantee it. He may have been a pet or he may have been raised for food. Lots of times people buy them from a butcher shop and release them, thinking they can survive as ferals.....which they cannot.

They are awesome birds.....like dogs with wings. Just lovely and loving creatures.

One of our members, Elizabethy....runs a website on 'em. Not gonna help you as far as placing since she is up here in SF, but a lotta good info there:

www.rescuereport.org

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.