Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I found a white pigeon in my backyard last Thursday, April 12, 2012. I live in Alta Loma/Rancho Cucamonga, both in the same in San Bernardino County, CA. I'm just outside of Los Angeles. Anyway, luckily I was outside while my dogs were chasing after this bird. I need to give this bird a name, because I'm sick of calling it "the bird, it, he/she, etc." but that's neither here, nor there. He/she looks healthy, is eating well, etc. but it will not fly away. I'm not completely comfortable just letting it go in the first place, there are a lot of outdoor cats, neighbors walk dogs without leashes, coyotes, etc. I should have mentioned earlier that it does have a plastic zip tie type thing on it, with absolutely no information what so ever. Thanks owner. I have put ads on craigslist, in the newspaper, notified local shelters, contacted companies that do bird releases, and veterinarians. I found one bird rescue in the area, but legally they can only deal with wild birds. I am disabled, no car, but I want to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the bird. I was hoping someone, somewhere, would know of someone that could please help me. At this point in time it doesn't look as though I will be able to keep it. My greatest hope is to find the owner. I just need some resources here, so if anyone could PLEASE offer some suggestions, I would GREATLY appreciate it! So far I really have not been able to find any help. There is absolutely NO WAY I will let this bird wind up in an animal shelter where it may be euthanized. The shelters have informed me that this is an extremely common occurrence, and that they have never had the owner of a pigeon come look for it. That makes me really sad. Also, besides the fact that it is not quite used to me, it is clear that it has been handled a lot, and it really is a great companion. Oh, yes I am sure the wings have not been clipped. Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Post pictures of the pigeon not just on the internet, but also in your neighborhood, If the pigeon can not fly long distances could be that the owner live not so far away from you.

Post a picture/video here as well who knows someone else decide to adopt it.

Be carefull with your dogs, cats, and other predators, the best is to put him/her in a room where he can relax, if not, in a cage in a high place with enough water and food. Do not let him outside in a cage he/she is more vulnerable to predators this way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts