Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a white pigeon that has come home with mine today after training, I do not know the Band # 2009 IPB B 2875. Anyone

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think the band is from foy's, contact them they would know who bought the band, but that does not mean they are still the owner.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep, and B is the size for homers. They may race, or they may have them for releases. Hopefully the person who bought the band, if they weren't the previous owner of it, will know who they sold the band/bird to. People are supposed to keep records of that but you know most don't :p

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hello, I have a white pigeon that has come home with mine today after training, I do not know the Band # 2009 IPB B 2875. Anyone
It is my hope you find the owner but if not and you do not want to keep the bird, I know he/she will fit in with my whites.

Hope you find its home,
Tony

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the persons phone # for the pigeon but the name i have does not match the phone message. I am waiting for this person to call me back.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It is my hope you find the owner but if not and you do not want to keep the bird, I know he/she will fit in with my whites.

Hope you find its home,
Tony
Dang Big T!

I was gonna say the same thing.....LOL

BTW: Hows those two I sent doing?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Dang Big T!

I was gonna say the same thing.....LOL

BTW: Hows those two I sent doing?
They doing good. I let them out to loft fly but have not sent them on the road yet. I can tell they are Florida birds because they like to put on suntan oil and sun on the roof. Beautiful birds.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
463 Posts
They doing good. I let them out to loft fly but have not sent them on the road yet. I can tell they are Florida birds because they like to put on suntan oil and sun on the roof. Beautiful birds.

Thanks,
Tony
LOL..... I used to say the same thing when I was in the Marines. We new who came from the west coast because they would be issued suntan lotion and surf boards at boot camp... Thats funny....Thanks for that....

Once you get them trained out good, work them hard. If you could just keep me posted as to how they do so I can evaluate the breeders better. Thanks again.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
what do you guys do with these stray birds? do you breed them?, you don't really know if they are good birds or what.... you can't fly them. seems timber is always at the ready for a stray....lol.. just wondering.

·
Registered
463 Posts
what do you guys do with these stray birds? do you breed them?, you don't really know if they are good birds or what.... you can't fly them. seems timber is always at the ready for a stray....lol.. just wondering.
Well I can only speak for myself but if the birds are in good shape, then sure we would like to take them in if no one can be found. My son has started his own loft along side mine so if theres a stray, then I give them to him to start out with. And depending on the background, age, and condition of the birds when they arrive, you can resettle them. The ones we got from Reti some time back my son loft flys almost daily. They will never go down the road ofcourse but you bet there young will. Plus it keeps them fit and just sometimes with a better diet and loft flying some old birds come back to being fertile. I did it this past year with an old cock who when given to me by the breeder said, "its not fertile anymore, give it to your son", well we got 3 rounds out of him in 2009. The breeder purchased a pair of his youngsters from our club auction. So it can work and until its proven otherwise we like to try. LOL

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
so you have resettled all the adult homers given to you....wow that is something. I wonder why others have such a hard time of it. so you use these strays in your breeding program for your race birds?

·
Registered
463 Posts
so you have resettled all the adult homers given to you....wow that is something. I wonder why others have such a hard time of it. so you use these strays in your breeding program for your race birds?
Well lets look at it from a different standpoint then.

First, not every bird can be resettled their drive to return from which they came is to strong. Sure birds fly off course for one reason or another and the best ones will return. Thats a fact. But for those that dont and are caught usually its due to not being in the best condition to have been sent or flown in the first place, its sick or missing flights, etc. Now ask yourself this, what creates the desire to return? MOTIVATION and the love of the loft. Correct? Now you dont know what condition the bird was exposed to prior to you getting it, especially from a stray. Now once you get the bird back into form and keep the bird motivated by the loft environment, feed, a mate, sittin eggs or feeding a youngster its much easier to keep them around. Does it work 100% of the time, No but it does work for some.

Second, Sure I have used strays in my breeding program. Sometimes there's a look or feel of a bird that makes you say, "I wonder if I were to mate it too".....so you give it a try. And as we all know, breeding is a whole different ball game....LOL Nothing is set in stone. The famous Ludo had a stray, although Im sure he never resettled it to fly, but he did bred from it and this "Stray" produced Champion Birds.

So in closing, I see nothing wrong for asking a person for something they themselves found and do not want or could not find the owner of. We all have pigeons for our own reasons. Myself its to race and for others its just a hobby. If I can introduce my children to this great hobby/sport and spark there intrest in it, Ill take any stray, abandond or abused homing pigeon I can get my hands on.

·
Registered
293 Posts

First, not every bird can be resettled their drive to return from which they came is to strong. Sure birds fly off course for one reason or another and the best ones will return. Thats a fact. But for those that dont and are caught usually its due to not being in the best condition to have been sent or flown in the first place, its sick or missing flights, etc. Now ask yourself this, what creates the desire to return? MOTIVATION and the love of the loft. Correct? Now you dont know what condition the bird was exposed to prior to you getting it, especially from a stray. Now once you get the bird back into form and keep the bird motivated by the loft environment, feed, a mate, sittin eggs or feeding a youngster its much easier to keep them around. Does it work 100% of the time, No but it does work for some.

Second, Sure I have used strays in my breeding program. Sometimes there's a look or feel of a bird that makes you say, "I wonder if I were to mate it too".....so you give it a try. And as we all know, breeding is a whole different ball game....LOL Nothing is set in stone. The famous Ludo had a stray, although Im sure he never resettled it to fly, but he did bred from it and this "Stray" produced Champion Birds.

So in closing, I see nothing wrong for asking a person for something they themselves found and do not want or could not find the owner of. We all have pigeons for our own reasons. Myself its to race and for others its just a hobby. If I can introduce my children to this great hobby/sport and spark there intrest in it, Ill take any stray, abandond or abused homing pigeon I can get my hands on.
Very interesting/informative reading!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

thanks, that is interesting and beats paying hundreds of dollars for a name...lol, and the bird gets a good home to boot. your son is alot braver than I would be, I would worry about loft flying it ,wondering if it would end up as a stray again.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well I can only speak for myself but if the birds are in good shape, then sure we would like to take them in if no one can be found. My son has started his own loft along side mine so if theres a stray, then I give them to him to start out with. And depending on the background, age, and condition of the birds when they arrive, you can resettle them. The ones we got from Reti some time back my son loft flys almost daily. They will never go down the road ofcourse but you bet there young will. Plus it keeps them fit and just sometimes with a better diet and loft flying some old birds come back to being fertile. I did it this past year with an old cock who when given to me by the breeder said, "its not fertile anymore, give it to your son", well we got 3 rounds out of him in 2009. The breeder purchased a pair of his youngsters from our club auction. So it can work and until its proven otherwise we like to try. LOL
Well Timber,

Since Aaron123 got out of the pigeon business and I got three young birds that need a home I was going to send to him, You interested?

Same deal, swap for three when you get back to breeding. No hurry. By the way, they're banded.

Tony

PS This squid always liked you jarheads. Ya'll were always fun to drink shots and beer with.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello, I have gotten in touch with the owner and he will be picking up the bird. He lives only about a 1 mile from me on a 60 acre farm. He was at one time in one of are clubs and was thinking about getting back into it.
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That is good to hear.

G

·
Big T say it isnt so that Aaron123 got out of the pigeon business :( thats just sad ... all he needed to do was fix his trap door to keep the preds out ,why did he quit with his birds :confused:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts