Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My husband found this pigeon sitting outside our apartment doors when he came home and thought it was stange he was just standing there. We went back down later to check on the bird and he was still there so we put him in a makeshift nest box and moved him to our balcony.

The pigeon doesn't seem to have any external injuries but his eye looks like it might have an issue. In the photos you can see his good eye compared to the eye we're concerned about. His eye is closed in the photo but he can still open and close it. He can walk around, flap his wings, and his breathing also seems to be normal but he won't fly away.

When my husband picked him up the pigeon snuggled right into his arms/chest. We were worried he would be cold so we put him inside a bin we use as an animal hotel (it has lots of space and blankets claws won't catch on). We have electrolyte water and food out for the bird and he seems to be doing a bit better today (we found him last night).

My husband and I have already grown surprisingly attached to this sweet little pigeon (we named him Admiral Byrd) and we'd like to bring him inside. We want to be safe and make sure that Admiral isn't sick and won't effect our other pets before we do.
This is our first time caring for a pigeon and any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. (London, Ontario)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
This is not pox. Is he eating ok? Any respiratory problems or nasal discharge? Looks like he might have injured that eye. No need to worry about diseases getting transmitted to your other pets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not pox. Is he eating ok? Any respiratory problems or nasal discharge? Looks like he might have injured that eye. No need to worry about diseases getting transmitted to your other pets.
Thank you so much for the info!
He seems to be breathing okay, my husband listened to his chest and says it sounds normal (he isn't wheezing or coughing). We haven't seen any nasal discharge or any discharge from his injured eye but we'll keep a look out for it just in case. Now that we're not as concerned about him being sick we're setting up a cage for him inside our apartment to keep him out of the cold and to monitor him more closely while he recovers. I'll post another update once we've had a chance to watch him to see if he is eating/drinking/pooping normally.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: We went to move the Admiral inside into a cage we built for him. When we were moving him we noticed that he had tiny little bugs on him. We thought they might be lice or mites (the wildlife rescue/education place we called says they're likely feather mites) so we put him in the bath tub and rinsed him off with warm water (I included a photo of him lifting his wings a bit so they could be rinsed). We seemed to get most of them off but we are keeping the Admiral (and his supplies) in the (empty) tub as a temporary quarantine until we can get some spray to treat the mites. Admiral's eye seems to be doing a bit better today (I've included an updated photo of his eye) but we found what looks like a scratch or a bump under his feathers when we were rinsing him down (it isn't bleeding). On the bright side Admiral seemed to really enjoy his warm bath and is starting to make happy cooing sounds in the bathroom.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts