Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a small mourning dove in my garden with a broken leg. I have been feeding the bird for 4 weeks, it is still hanging around my garden dragging his poor broken foot behind him. I have tried to catch him , but he flies off every time. So, he can still fly okay...what can i do to help?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Trap him first. Then you need to estimate damage and try to mend his leg. Vet will be able to help. There is a problem though, time. The longer it takes you to get the bird, the chances for leg to heal are lower.
I'll look for trapping methods and post the links.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I want to mention that in the United States, Mourning Doves are a federally protected bird. So you will need to locate a Wildlife Rehabber to assume the care of this lil' one once you catch it.

Having said that, know that some rehabbers will PTS birds that can not be released back into the wild. SO IMO- Call ahead to all of the rehabbers in your area and question what will happen prior to choosing one.;) That way you know the hands you are passing him into would give him a chance at being rehabilitated.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
has he had the broken leg for 4 weeks??? if so i would leave him be, he is obviously surviving with it fine, why put him thru the stress of capture which may kill him if this injury is old, just keep on feeding him.

·
Registered
813 Posts
has he had the broken leg for 4 weeks??? if so i would leave him be, he is obviously surviving with it fine, why put him thru the stress of capture which may kill him if this injury is old, just keep on feeding him.
sigh of relief.......... I was hoping you'd post to this thread! ;):D:cool:

post edit: BTW- Tara, Jodi is a rehabber, so she knows!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts