Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this bird five days ago and I know nothing about pigeons at all. I put it back where it was found and it scurried off into the road and there are a few cats about. I took it into my garden and placed it where I am growing swedes, adult pigeons like eating the leaves. When I came home it had gone I pressumed adults had found it. A day later my cat spotted it. I brought it in made a bed for it and have had it since. I am feeding it with wild bird seed that I crush, and soften with warm water. I used a syringe then I saw how to really feed a young bird. He wont take anything from the bag I have made for it to push its beak into. It is taking from my finger when I open its beak. I let it out in my garden each morning, it flaps its wings for a bit and then sits till I get it back into its bed, it has plenty of room and I put a perch which it happily sits on. I dont know how old it is and it doesnt seem injured. It is rather lovely. I just dont know what I am doing. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try and get a decent pic I only have head shots I don't like stressing it. It is young. It has nice wings and wing feathers and tail feathers about half size of the pigeons in my garden. He has fluff on most of its body. Thank you for replying I really am flying blind here.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Just make sure he is indeed eating the seeds and not just scattering them around. He will also need to drink water. You can teach him that by gently dipping the tip of the beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. The droppings should be brown and resemble a large raisin with a white dot on top.

If he is doing the above and seem independant, don't release him too soon. He needs to fly well and be able to eat all kinds of seeds.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Your photo is fine. He will soon start flying. Give him time to practise inside your room in a safe environment. If you take him outside and he suddenly flies away, he won't survive. He needs to be a bit older before releasing and will also need a backup support regarding food and water. Is he drinking water as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thank you. I thought the pic was the ay too big. Yes it's drinking and covering me in it. It has food and water now where it's sleeping only put food in today after it was eating by itself. I still like to see it feed but it plasters me in it pushing it's beak in then shakING it on me. I really like this bird. Right softee I am. I will let it have time , n M back room to fly drawer the blinds and so n.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry admin for posting back to back.
Here is a pic of what I have the bird living in. Supermarket delivery boxes, he has a nice bed of moss that he makes a nice nest in. Paper that I change the other side, I have wedged a bamboo cane that he can perch on if he want and he has enough room to flap about. I have brought him into the house I hated him in the shed and outside when the weather was fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
He looks fine, although the perch is not suitable. Try to get something with a flat surface. Even a brick will do. Pigeons prefer to perch on a flat surface. The crate you are keeping him inside must be quite dark. Can't you get something more suitable? Even a large box will do. Put it on the side so that only the front area is open. Then cover the front with mesh or anything see through as long as he is safe inside. Put a couple of layers of newspaper inside and a brick. Easy to clean once a day by just removing a layer of newspaper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that advice MArinaB. I will get some sort of a box tomorrow. I have changed the perch and I have some chicken wire outside I could use for the front. He is on my dining table just now and has been out on the floor for qhite some time today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marina B

Just wanted to let you know, I didnt get a box today, so this morning I took the crate from the table put it on the floor, a nice perch, flat wood and I left the top crate off, all day. The bird has had the run of the dining kitchen. Only problem I had to put it back in tonight and the flippin noise. I gave up and took the top off again. I will put it on when I go to bed. The bird has pooped all over my cats house where it has taken a liking to sitting. I dont care. With the work tops just means I have to use the antibac more often. It manages to fly onto the window sill. Happy bird I think. Regards Kath

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.