Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello-

This guy, a sick king now named Frances, was at SF ACC but was ill and so not sent to Rodney in GA along with the other birds. I think he has PMV. He's doing much better since I started really increasing his handfeeding. He LOVES being fed seeds (can't get any down on his own). Usually when a pij is sick, I've been taught to go easy with the food since they don't need much to survive and it takes a lot of energy and strength to process but, in the case of Frances, more food has made him more better! :) His story is here at www.RescueReport.org

Any PMV advice would be welcome.

Thank you!

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
First of all, Elizabethy, a MOST grateful THANK YOU for all your hard work! The world could use so many more like you!

I have Dominic, a feral pij that I think may be a Show Flight. He showed signs of some type of neurological problem when I first got him but I don't know if it was PMV or not. The symptoms come and go but are mostly gone...at least they seem to be. He is flying a lot better now even with a droopy wing that had been hit with a BB gun (maybe). While he still scatters his seeds around, I hear him pecking on the cage floor after them. He was treated for Coccidiosis and Round Worms.

As you mentioned, a good diet may do wonders!

Just a comment: I was always confused between FrancEs and FrancIs...never knew the difference until someone told me the easiest way to remember whether male or female is to think hEr and hIm...IF Frances is a hen, no worries; if not, no big deal to make a minor spelling change...;) :D

Frances is a beauty and we sure wish you ALL THE VERY BEST and look forward to positive updates!!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi/Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
He loooks remarkably well and his poops look good! Fortunately in good hands.

We have never withheld food from a PMV pigeon, by the time we find them they are half starving anyway. John took in three PMV pigeon over a short time and nursed them together. Mini Pidge (the smallest of the three) only weighed 230 gms. He hand fed them all thawed peas and corn, around 50 pieces twice a day , they all thrived and made a good recovery although they are still recognisable as PMV survivors when under stress. I have started using the peas and corn for hand feeding now as I think it is easier for them to digest when ill than pigeon mix and safer than tube feeding when dealing with PMV or wood pigeons.

Sometimes a drop of liquid calcium seems to help, both Jules in Canada and I discovered it independently of each other. My reasoning before providing the calcium was that it strengthens the muscles and therefore might help the bird control the torticollis.

Eartha Pidge and I both got good results from giving a pigeon with very bad nervous symptoms the homeopathic remedy Connium Mac, again we did this independently of each other basing our choice of remedies on the specific pigeon's symtoms. But neither of us know if the improvement was coincidental and my pigeon relapsed after a couple of days.

Cynthia

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, pictures and video of Frances

Hello-

:) I know that Frances' name should be spelled FrancIs (you'd be amazed how many people notice) but I just prefer the look of Frances. Think of him as just a tad luckier than a boy named Sue. :p

And here's all the latest on him:
http://www.rescuereport.org/2009/04/frances.html

How long do I need to keep him quarantined? He's SO lonesome and even though he's got a mirror and lots of my time, he'd really love to socialize with the other pigeons...

As always- thank you PT!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Elizabeth,

He needs to be quarantined for at least 6 weeks from the date that he first started showing symptoms, after that time he will have stopped shedding the virus but you will have to ensure that there is none on his feathers by offering him frequent baths.

He reminds me of one of my white PMV rescues, Guapo. I used to tube feed Guapo and at first when he saw me coming he would run to the front of the cage and swallow the tube. As he got better and was able to eat on his own he became distant and wary again.

Cynthia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.