Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i was at work my mom called me one of my 8 pigeon is dead feather everywhere.
i was shocked!
than the next day i clean up the feather and stuff. when i let the flock out they was so freaked! like so scare of everything, they wont even land on the ground. and when every leaf fall or noise goes on they fly everywhere.

what can i do to help?
it been like this for days now almost a week.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
KEEP YOUR PIGEONS IN FOR NOW! If you live in an area where hawks are, then letting them out is just going to get more of them killed. If it's some other predator, then the result will be the same. Knowing where you are and what your surroundings are like would help our members to give you good advice.

Terry

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i do have muscovy duck and they do chase down hawk that fly to the ground.... hoping they are there the whole time . beside i want my pigeon to fly freely

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well if the hawk is hungry enough and annoyed enough they will try to kill your ducks too. I have heard it happen before. Also, I think TAWhatley is advising you to keep them in just for now... temporarily, not forever. If you don't, the hawk will take advantage of their scared/frazzled state and kill more. The pigeons will be fine if they have to be grounded for a week (or whatever time frame is necessary). They are probably still scared because they can see or sense that the hawk is still hanging around the area. They are smart birds. If you want to keep your pigeons safe and calm then you should keep them in the loft.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
well i do have muscovy duck and they do chase down hawk that fly to the ground.... hoping they are there the whole time . beside i want my pigeon to fly freely
YOU might want your birds to fly freely, but if there's a predator around your birds DO NOT want to be out there flying. Their not stupid, they'd rather be safe, hiding in the loft.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
were they attacked outside the loft or inside??
if they were out i would keep them in for a while and hopefully the hawk will move on or you will probably lose more birds.
if they were in the loft you need to find out and block the area where the predator got in

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remember Hawks and cat's can and do reach inside of the pens also. I was at a friends 3 days ago. A Hawk stuck his foot down and got one of his dove's. It had to let it go. But, he told me the other day it got one from the side of the pen. Jim

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is true. I saw a cooper's hawk reach in and grab a dove through a flight cage at a wildlife rehab center, it couldn't get the dove out but it did kill it. Maybe you should invest in adding more protection around your loft if the pigeon was killed inside the loft.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That is true. I saw a cooper's hawk reach in and grab a dove through a flight cage at a wildlife rehab center, it couldn't get the dove out but it did kill it. Maybe you should invest in adding more protection around your loft if the pigeon was killed inside the loft.

What a good idea. ...1/4 inch hardware cloth would work very well to go over your existing flight.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sadly my tumbler just die i guess it was last night .....stupid hawk (i hate them)
4 now on no more tumbler and roller just homers

ya know today was the day i planed to take picture of him to put on this site ... what bad luck i have

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Did something get inside your loft during the night?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You may want to let them fly free, but you should listen to your birds. They're smart. They know a predator is around, and that they are in danger. Keep them in for a while. Better they are safe than dead. If you let them free fly, and you are at work, there really isn't anything you can do to protect them. Even if you leave the loft open for them to get back inside, a hawk can just follow them in. There is no way to calm your birds if they know there is a predator around and you have them outside of the loft. They are smart to be scared.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Do you leave the loft open during the night?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hawks don't go into a loft at night. Did this happen during the night?

Whatever it was that killed your birds are just doing what comes naturally and so in a way they ...that creature is an innocent. The burden is on all of us to protect our birds from predators. That being said, I really do understand how heart broken you are and angry too. I have the same thing happen to me and I was beside myself with grief.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
At night a variety of animals can get inside the loft to kill/injure the birds if you do not lock it up tight. Raccoons, opossums, owls, cats, rats mostly. But if there is an entrance big enough and low enough (or if the wire is weak to where they can break through), dogs, foxes, and skunks (they'll eat eggs) can get in.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Did something get inside your loft during the night?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hawks don't go into a loft at night. Did this happen during the night?

Whatever it was that killed your birds are just doing what comes naturally and so in a way they ...that creature is an innocent. The burden is on all of us to protect our birds from predators. That being said, I really do understand how heart broken you are and angry too. I have the same thing happen to me and I was beside myself with grief.
No, hawks don't go into the loft at night, but he had said that one of his eight birds was killed, I think during the day. Then he said a bird dead this morning. And he mentioned now having 4 birds. So I'm wondering if something other than a hawk got in during the night. That's why I was asking if he closes it up at night, or just leaves it open. I'm confused. How many birds are left of the 8?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Blong - you posted first yesterday AM - and today you say yet another one is dead. You HAVE to keep the birds lN and protect the flights\loft - immediately . Obviously a predator has figured your setup out ! No love loss here for haws - nevertheless it might have been a rat or even a raccoon :mad: You need to secure their enclosure or move them to a safer place ASAP

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Blong - you posted first yesterday AM - and today you say yet another one is dead. You HAVE to eep the birds lN and protect the flights\loft - immediately . Obviously a predator has figured your setup out ! lt might have been a rat or even a raccoon :mad:
It sure could have been. That's what I was thinking too.

If you are willing to post a picture of your loft, I'm sure many of us will have some constructive advice about how you can predator proof.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts