Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to feed the birdsand noticed somehow mom and dad got out of there breeding area and could not get back in. I was out there this morning and all was well. I grabed up the babies and said noway. I ran to the fireplace and held them in my hands. At one point I though I seen the bigger one move so I set the little guy down on a warm towel, the one in my hand started to breath and in a few more minutes poohed on my hand and moved his feet. I looked down at the little guy on the towel with teary eys and low and behold he was breathing. NOW I have no idea where to go from here, they are in a baskit with a heat pad and both are breath WHAT NEXT please. Iam so glad I did not just take them for dead because they where very cold but I knew not frozen. Going to check on them any help will do>Kevin

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
How old are they and can you post a picture?
You need to thoroughly warm them before you do anything.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pics

How old are they and can you post a picture?
You need to thoroughly warm them before you do anything.
I have downloaded many pics but at this time they are saying i can't, I don't have time for this so I am just going to put them back with the parents, I needed help now because I have to go to work so it is leave them in the basket or give them back to the parents, since I have to leave the parents win

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Check them when you get back...no mater the time and if the parents aren't on them, bring them inside so they won't freeze....put them on a heating pad set on low.
It's a shame you can't post pictures. I know there has been trouble lately with that function. You can email them to me and I will try.
[email protected]

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok

Put them back if the parents can get to them they will.
Dave
Check them when you get back...no mater the time and if the parents aren't on them, bring them inside so they won't freeze....put them on a heating pad set on low.
It's a shame you can't post pictures. I know there has been trouble lately with that function. You can email them to me and I will try.
[email protected]
On Mondays I usually go from one job to the next,today I could not help but leave early and come home. Pete it looks like you where right, the hen is sitting tight and the cock is right next to her. I won't know for sure until I get home in the morning so I will be wondering all night.

As of right now I am so glad I did not just take them for dead, they were lifeless and very very cold. I have taken a lot of time to get these birds and it was there first time hatching young, let's see how things are in the morning. It took a good 30 minutes holding them before they showed signs of life, I was praying for one and got them both back. I want to say to anybody that might have this happen, don't give up to quickly >Kevin

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm glad you didn't take them for dead either.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Kevin............I'm so very happy that you took the time and saved both babies. Hopefully the parents will keep them warm through the night.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Kevin, are these the pair's first babies ? If not by keeping them back there is a good chance the parents will start taking care again. But if this is their very first pair of hatchlings, pay a closer look

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
close call, good save.... sounds like there is a problem with them getting out... fix that and all should get back to normal.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
babies

close call, good save.... sounds like there is a problem with them getting out... fix that and all should get back to normal.
come to find out, my Daughter came over yesterday while I was sleeping and wanted to see the babies. I know when she latched the door she went the wrong direction and made it easy for the cock bird to rattle the door and allow the latch to drop. I only have 3 cock birds in this loft and the rest being hens I am sure his intent was another hen.

Well it happened and I tried what I could and all was looking good when I left for work last night. I even brought the temp up to 60 degrees and felt all would be fine, Unfortunitly when I got home this morning the little guys did not make it threw the night. I WISH there was more I could have done for them but I truly thought they would be just fine. Changes have already been made so all breeding areas now have double latches. Sorry for the bad news, I did not want to post this at all but I truly feel that the people on here that care desirve this. >Kevin

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Things happen to all of us, and sometimes it is so disheartening. caring for living things can be so sad sometimes... so sorry about these two, Im sure there will be more babies in your future.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It happens and has happened to me once before,twice, once the youngsters made it and once they did not. Sorry about your lose Pattersonk2002. It's mother nature.
Kurps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts