Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hen that can be grounded for several days after egg laying, unable to fly. The vet says it's calcium depletion and we have her on a supplement. It worked for a few months. She used to lay every four weeks. The last few months she has been on a two-week cycle. Now she's grounded again.

Does anyone have experience managing frequent egg laying? I've read that Lupron can help in some cases however it can have a "rebound effect" if used long term. What is the long-term outlook for a hen with frequent egg laying?

Any suggestions will be appreciated,

Daniel

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
use dummy eggs she can sit, to give her a break from the cycle of laying more. and she will give up when they are supposed to hatch, wooden or plastic fake eggs, you might beable to find some wooden ones at a craft store. does she have crushed oystershell to get as she needs it? if not then I would add that in a small crock for her to pic at. also sunshine, sitting in the sun helps them metabolize vit D which makes the calicum availible to use in her body.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
use dummy eggs she can sit, to give her a break from the cycle of laying more. and she will give up when they are supposed to hatch, wooden or plastic fake eggs, you might beable to find some wooden ones at a craft store. does she have crushed oystershell to get as she needs it? if not then I would add that in a small crock for her to pic at. also sunshine, sitting in the sun helps them metabolize vit D which makes the calicum availible to use in her body.
Hi,

We're way past the usual methods, all of which we've done and none of which have worked. Her hormones are out of control.

Daniel

·
Registered
911 Posts
This may sound like a crazy question, but I'm relatively new to pigeons. Is there a surgical solution? Is hystorectomy a possibility?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's another term for it in birds - salpingectomy I think. Extremely high mortality rate. There are hormone therapies.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Daniel!

I'm so sorry to hear about your little hen. I'm not sure about the use of Lupron, but I do have several other suggestions.

Does your hen have access to the outdoors? Does she have a mate?

If she is not getting any D3 then the calcium supplement may also not be absorbing correctly. You can give her cod liver oil once a month or give her access to sun everyday. This will not reduce production but will reduce the effects of calcium depletion.

Also, she needs a break from whoever is the object of her affection, if you can allow her a mini-vacation that certainly will help stop or slow down the egg laying. Also, less protein and more barley in the diet will help.

I have had several hens that layed too much and I just have thought about seperating them from their mates, as the dummy eggs just weren't enough. It seems harsh, but in the long run it helped save their lives.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If the above does not work, then look into the lupron, it works on humans, it pretty much stops the brain from making hormones, not sure of long term effects, but you would have to compair which would be more helpful without jeopardizing her health. I always tend to take the more natural approch. sometimes you have to try things for a long period of time before they start to work.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Egg Hatching - No

Just curious...if they're allowed to hatch, does she still lay as often?
Her eggs do not hatch.

She used to lay about every 28 days - about three weeks on the nest and another four to seven days to lay. Now she lays every two weeks.

Since I posted this thread my vet has recommended hormone therapy. More about this when I take her in :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lupron - Sticker Shock

If the above does not work, then look into the lupron, it works on humans, it pretty much stops the brain from making hormones, not sure of long term effects, but you would have to compair which would be more helpful without jeopardizing her health. I always tend to take the more natural approch. sometimes you have to try things for a long period of time before they start to work.
I did look into Lurpon. It's extremely expensive (about $150 an injection). There are less expensive hormone therapies with almost no side effects. It will mean having to dose her once a month. For how long? I don't know. I also don't what effect it will have on our friendship. She's a sweet cuddly pigeon. I don't know what will happen if she stops laying for a while. Still, as I was telling a friend, I'd rather have her alive and aloof than cuddly and dead.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Objects of Affection

Hi Daniel!

I'm so sorry to hear about your little hen. I'm not sure about the use of Lupron, but I do have several other suggestions.

Does your hen have access to the outdoors? Does she have a mate?

If she is not getting any D3 then the calcium supplement may also not be absorbing correctly. You can give her cod liver oil once a month or give her access to sun everyday. This will not reduce production but will reduce the effects of calcium depletion.

Also, she needs a break from whoever is the object of her affection, if you can allow her a mini-vacation that certainly will help stop or slow down the egg laying. Also, less protein and more barley in the diet will help.

I have had several hens that layed too much and I just have thought about seperating them from their mates, as the dummy eggs just weren't enough. It seems harsh, but in the long run it helped save their lives.
To make a long story short I'd have to give up my little Josette - my little hen. I'm the object of her affection. She lays her eggs for me. I think she would be devastated if I gave her away. I thought about it and was willing to try until I talked to the vet. The hormone therapy looks promising. I just don't know if she'll lose interest in me.

She's only been interested in one other pigeon - ever. It was several years ago. We already had a bond and she was into the egg laying routine. One time I found a fertile egg. At the time I had one pigeon all the lady pigeons lusted after - a feral rescue. Reti has two birds of mine he sired with one of my Fantails. He was was quite the hunk :) Beyond that, she really doesn't like the other birds.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you could always try another male bird and see if they get on a regular routine together, and use fake eggs. I think Reti may have one for you. she may not be your "mate" any longer, but atleast she may be more like nature intended and keep her from laying so much, sounds like she is your cuddle bug and keeps laying for you. that would have to stop. JMO but that is what I would do instead of shooting her full of hormone therapy. JMO now. others may have more for you to think on.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Josette Update

We began hormone therapy at the vet's yesterday. We also gave her a vitamin D injection for the calcium absorption. The vet found a displaced/fractured coracoid. I have to keep her locked up for two weeks.

We began with one dose of Provera. I have to give her HCG or progesterone once every two weeks for the next 4 - 5 months. This should shut down her egg laying completely. In rare cases they can lay a smaller egg with no yoke. The vet didn't think there was anything wrong with this course of treatment and thought she will be normal again it is over.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thanks for the update Daniel.

I hope this course of treatment works for your little hen and that she will be normal again...whatever is normal for her.

Sorry to hear about the fracture, but glad it is found.

It is obvious that you truly love your little Josette and are doing everything possible to give her a long and already happy life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts