Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved one of my breeding pairs into a new coop and unfortunately they seemed to have gotten stressed out, as my female laid two eggs but refused to sit on them. One of the eggs rolled off her ledge and cracked the day it was laid. The second egg I kept an eye on and approximately 4 hours after it was laid the pair wanted nothing to do with it. It was about 55 degrees at the time.

So I grabbed the unincubated egg and put it under a different breeding pair that has eggs about 5 days along. They did not reject it and this morning have been sitting on it like it was their own.

Will the unincubated egg hatch? And if it does, can my other pair support three babies? They other pair is in good health, are relatively young parents, and have copius amounts of food and water available.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Yes it can hatch if fertile with incubation. They can feed three, but it is stressful. And with this egg 5 days behind it will hatch later and be younger and smaller than the other/s and most likely have trouble getting fed as the biggers will hog the feedings, plus the pigeon milk may not be there if the foster pair had already been feeding the others for 3 to 5 days already to their real hatchlings, if the orphaned egg was the lone egg, then it could work as the other hatchlings would not be there. I would toss the lone egg and let the pair start again and raise their own. Hope you know which one it is.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, it might hatch. but it will be at least 5 days behind the eggs of the foster parents. When thier own eggs hatch they may not sit tight enough to continue to incubate it. And even if they do, their own young will have a 5 day head start on eating and growing. That is a huge difference and the orphan, if he hatches, will have little chance to compete for food. Plus, the first 5 or 6 days of feeding, the parents feed exclusively pigeon milk. By day 6, they are mixing in some seed. So, by the time the orphan hatches, the parents will instinctively be feeding at least some seed and the orphan will not be able to handle that.

Bottom line is that he is unlikely to survive. It would have been much better to just discard the egg and wait 10 to 14 days for the other pair to nest again. Pigeons are egg factories during the breeding season. Best of luck.

Jim

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
For all the reasons above, the lone egg should just be eliminated. Not worth the poor thing hatching and struggling against 2 older siblings. Will probably die anyway, so why do that to it? It's just an egg, and they will have more probably right away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help folks, really appreciate it! I ended up tossing the 3rd egg that was 5 days behind per the suggestions and am just going to wait for the pair to lay another set of eggs. Thinking ahead, I had marked the egg with a sharpie so it was no problem finding the "rogue egg". Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts