Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
frightened pigeons during a few meters meteor explosion

On January 7, 2015 a giant meteor exploded over Romania and it was brighter than the Sun in Vrancea - Buzau, as witnesses said.
I found this recording made at 200 km from the explosion site. Look in the upper right corner, how frightened pigeons are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKXX9HUZTD0
I read that pigeons have very high sensitivity to infrasound and electromagnetic field. So rare and powerful explosions generate extremely high levels of infrasound and electromagnetic waves in a high frequency range. Infrasound were recorded by instrumentation and also earthquake shock wave.
I am curious if there are any data on the behavior of pigeons in similar cases?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I just this week saw a show and they mentioned exaclty what you are saying that they know think that infrasound is also a way that pigeons navigate their way home. Now I cant remember what the show was grrr. Cool tho. But that video is sad to see those birds have a fright and the one that flew by, was that a feral? or one from the coop that escaped?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was one from the coop that escaped.
They were probably scared by the explosion of light and magnetic field variations that occur immediately.
Infrasound, which are very strong, get a few minutes later, and I think that pigeons were alerted again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts