Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm afraid it's me again with another question! :rolleyes:

After having some predator issues with my birds, I've been keeping them in for a few days - I decided to give the birds an MOT yesterday just to check none of them had any hidden bite marks or anything - all was fine except I noticed one of Colin's eyes looks odd. He normally has deep, dark eyes but one has turned orangey yellow around the pupil and the pupil seems an odd shape (although, when taking a photo with a flash, the red eye effect makes it look round again).

Here's a picture!

And here's his other eye showing what colour both eyes were before.

I know young birds have dark eyes that change as they get older but Colin is two and a half now. He's healthy in every other respect and is swanning around with his wife and generally doing pigeon things... I'm not sure if it's anything I need to worry about or not?!

Thankyou!! :eek:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That picture came out a little small/unclear so here's another one!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
That eye looks odd indeed. Can he see out of it?
My Angel has something similar. I was never able to find out what it is and she can see out of the "odd" eye, don't know how well though.

Reti

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure to be honest, I tried waving my hand around to the side of his head and moving my hand nearer and furthur from it and he edged away from me but mostly he just ignored me (which is normal for Colin! He couldn't care less if I poked him in the eye!! :D ). He's still bossing the other pigeons off of his perch and he's not flying into things or anything so I guess he can still see out of it.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Good picture of Colin's eye. You might want to take him to an avian vet.

Please do check again,and see if there is sight in the eye. It does look suspicious.

Believe me, I have several one eye sighted birds and they fly around the coop completely like they are normal, but they ARE vision impaired so they don't go outside.

·
Registered
566 Posts
HI G,

One of the principal symptoms of concussion in a human is that the iris (that part that surrounds the pupil) becomes lopsided and different in size from the other. You may want to check the head carefully; the brain on a pigeon is actually located at the back of the head and extends down to the neck, it is not at the top of the head like a human.

To check vision you need a dark room and a small penlight or flashlight. Put the bird down and breifly shine the light toward him from one side or the other and see if you get a reaction, like his turning his head toward the light. Try it from both sides and see if the reaction is noticeably different from one side or the other. Remember to keep the light off except when checking or the bird will just follow it.
Best,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip Grimaldy, I tried it out last night but he didn't really move his head or anything with either eye! I'm pretty sure he can see out of it still but just how well, I'm not sure. I had a good look at his head to and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong, no wounds or feathers missing and I couldn't feel any bumps where he might of hit it. I guess he must of had a bump on the head at some point though. If it is concussion, will the eye change back again? Unfortunately, there isn't an avian vet where I live and being an island, it's a real problem to get to one. My local vet is a bit rubbish to be honest - I have another thread in this section (Airbus got attacked by a cat) about a pigeon I've had to take to the vet and the lady I saw, although she was very nice, didn't even know how to hold Airbus properly so I'd imagine they wouldn't be a lot of use for Colin either. :(

·
Registered
566 Posts
HI Georgina,

If you come up from slightly behind and to the side after waiting a while in a dark room, a bird will usually turn his head to see what is behind him or her.

As I said somewhere else in another post, the money in veterinarian service is in dogs and cats these days. Birds are very delicate and most people regard them as disposable items even when they claim to be strongly bonded. There is much you can do yourself however.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sorry I did not get to the rest of your question.

Yes, a lopsided iris (or pupil if you speak of the dark center) is a sign of slight head injury and will go away after 72 hours or so. Meantime no pain relievers should be given. As there appears to be blood vessels which may be hemorrhaging in the photo, keep an eye on them and see that they clear up. Washing that eye with a mild solution of water and Epsom salt helps.

For reasons that are not entirely clear a pigeon's iris will often tear like fine tinfoil when it has been injured; and there is little you can do to stop it. For all practical purposes the eye becomes blind because it admits too much light and since it lies against the lens of the eye it probably interferes with focusing as well. After it clears up a simple test to see if the bird has any vision is to make a small eye patch to cover the "good" or uninjured eye, put the bird down in a closed room, drop a few unsalted peanuts on the floor and watch what happens. It may be helpful to have a catch net handy in case the bird panics.

Best,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again, I wish I was half as knowlegdeable about these things as you obviously are! The only thing I could think to do was to wave at him! :D (I also started off clapping to the eye until I realised that was the test for deafness and decided I was a right numpty! LOL!).

I'll try the light thing again, and often, to see if I can do it right. And I'll start washing it too. I was looking at Colin's eye this morning and there seems to be a bit of a change, the iris is still pretty weird looking but the colour seems to be darkening around the pupil (in the photo's, it's bright yellow, with an odd green tinge).

I wonder if Colin flew into our patio doors actually. I have a handreared pidge (Catch) and he always sits on our balcony in front of the doors and a few times I've seen Colin and a few of the other pigeons up there with him.

Anyhoo, I'll keep an eye on it (no pun intended!) and if anything changes dramatically - or not at all - I'll no doubt be back here with a load more questions! Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thanks again, I wish I was half as knowlegdeable about these things as you obviously are! The only thing I could think to do was to wave at him! :D (I also started off clapping to the eye until I realised that was the test for deafness and decided I was a right numpty! LOL!).

I'll try the light thing again, and often, to see if I can do it right. And I'll start washing it too. I was looking at Colin's eye this morning and there seems to be a bit of a change, the iris is still pretty weird looking but the colour seems to be darkening around the pupil (in the photo's, it's bright yellow, with an odd green tinge).

I wonder if Colin flew into our patio doors actually. I have a handreared pidge (Catch) and he always sits on our balcony in front of the doors and a few times I've seen Colin and a few of the other pigeons up there with him.

Anyhoo, I'll keep an eye on it (no pun intended!) and if anything changes dramatically - or not at all - I'll no doubt be back here with a load more questions! Thanks again! :D

ROFLMAO!!!!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
definatly looks like he had some kind of trauma to the eye, possibly a detached retina, i think even a not so good at birds vet would be able to see what is wrong with a Ophthalmoscope and you can take it from there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts