Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello
I have been hand feeding a 6 month old pigeon since it was thrown out of the nest since birth. Maybe a few days old. She is unable to feed herself due to the gap between the top of the beak and the bottom of the beak. She tries so hard to eat but is not able. She is the sweetest little girl. I have no vets that deal with poultry, they refuse to look at pigeons. I have been raising pigeons since 1989 and I have never seen anything like this. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any suggestions and advice is greatly appeciated. Thank You!

Heather

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
beak gap

Do not worry, she will manage to feed herself out of need to eat. give her large solid grains like pea's and corn and many different grains in a bowl that she can push down on to get mouthfuls of grain. I have seen this in my muff tumblers from time to time and often their beak changes alighnment and shape as they mature. try to watch if she prefers one grain and give her all she wants of that in with other grains. she needs to figure it all out on her own, so try not to help her too much, but make sure she is pooping and thus getting enough to eat.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for caring for this little creature.

You should get a small deep spill proof dish for the bird to practice and learn to eat from, and put a pigeon seed mix in it. Allow her to practice BEFORE you feed her when she is most hungry. You will still need to supplement her if she is not getting enough, but she should get the hang of it and eventually be able to feed herself. Leave the dish with seed in her cage all day so she can practice.

We have members who rehabilitated a bird without a top beak and the bird learned to scoop up the seed like a shovel.

She also needs to practice eating seed as she needs to strengthen the muscles on the tongue that enable them to carry the seed to the back of the throat for swallowing. She will get it eventually, just be consistent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do not worry, she will manage to feed herself out of need to eat. give her large solid grains like pea's and corn and many different grains in a bowl that she can push down on to get mouthfuls of grain. I have seen this in my muff tumblers from time to time and often their beak changes alighnment and shape as they mature. try to watch if she prefers one grain and give her all she wants of that in with other grains. she needs to figure it all out on her own, so try not to help her too much, but make sure she is pooping and thus getting enough to eat.
Thank You for the advice :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for caring for this little creature.

You should get a small deep spill proof dish for the bird to practice and learn to eat from, and put a pigeon seed mix in it. Allow her to practice BEFORE you feed her when she is most hungry. You will still need to supplement her if she is not getting enough, but she should get the hang of it and eventually be able to feed herself. Leave the dish with seed in her cage all day so she can practice.

We have members who rehabilitated a bird without a top beak and the bird learned to scoop up the seed like a shovel.

She also needs to practice eating seed as she needs to strengthen the muscles on the tongue that enable them to carry the seed to the back of the throat for swallowing. She will get it eventually, just be consistent.
Thank you for your advice. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is doing a little better eating. Not by much. She acts like a squab when she wants to eat. chases me and shakes her wings and lowers her head for me. I put a older pigeon in with her hopeing she would see the other female eat. She ignores the other bird and still begs me for food. I am refusing to feed her unless I see she is having troubles. This is the sweetest but yet so stuborn. Thank You for both for your help. I appreciate it alot :)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
She is doing a little better eating. Not by much. She acts like a squab when she wants to eat. chases me and shakes her wings and lowers her head for me. I put a older pigeon in with her hopeing she would see the other female eat. She ignores the other bird and still begs me for food. I am refusing to feed her unless I see she is having troubles. This is the sweetest but yet so stuborn. Thank You for both for your help. I appreciate it alot :)
Hand reared youngsters always seem to take longer to wean as they become so dependent on the caregiver and the caregiver will keep feeding them thinking they are not getting enough. This is a special situation, so just continue to encourage the bird to eat, and they do learn to eat from watching the other birds. Make sure that she always self feeds first when she is most hungry. Sometimes it has taken me a little tough love to get them self-feeding, as they can get spoiled, however, you know what is best for this youngster and its special needs.

Thank you for your continued care of this bird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts