Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

Am going to go homeopathic on my birds, and would just like some advice, suggestions on natural tonics/cures.

I keep reading about the beneficial use of garlic. Antibacterial, antifungal etc properties.

How do actually prepare garlic water using fresh cloves?

I have 2 little english short faced tumblers. They share a small cup between them.

What dosage of the garlic should I use? I read all these different ways, but am still unsure. I don't want to overdo it, as I also read garlic may cause anaemia.

What other natural supplements have antifungal properties?

Thank you!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hello. I have read that coconut oil is antifungal and so is clove oil. Say, what is wrong with your birds? I have used garlic tablets before.
Once or twice a friend of mine told me that whenever he fed canary grass seeds to his pigeons, he would see worms the next day or two coming out of the pigeon poop. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Garlic basically helps a healthy bird to stay healthy means build up immunity. Its not a cure to active diseases. 1 and 1/2 cloves could be added in water once in summers and twice in winters once a week respectively.
Talking about oils - when one eats more oily food what happens?
Much oil or oil bearing seed aren't good. It can cause stress on kidneys and liver...
Fibre should be added to pigeons diet to absorb extra oil

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I used garlic of about a year, now I don't for about another year, I see no difference to continue. IMO keeping it simple and adding things that our pigeon's ancesters actually ate in the wild is about all they need. clean water, a clean grain feed and just a bit of vitamin suppliment to make up for what some grains may lack is all they really need.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
spirit wings said:
keeping it simple and adding things that our pigeon's ancesters actually ate in the wild is about all they need. just a bit of vitamin suppliment to make up for what some grains may lack is all they really need.
I hold the same opinion.
spirit wings said:
I used garlic of about a year, now I don't for about another year, I see no difference to continue.
IME,when birds are healthy they show negligible reactions to them. But such things like garlic,acv etc slowly help the birds restore their immunity and recover from weaknesses. Sick pigeons are actually helped if we don't overdo the use of these items.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Some fanciers believe that garlic may offer some antibiotic effect against bacteria, fungi and yeasts, in the pigeon’s systems, by reducing their levels. Garlic has trace minerals like selenium which may help the immune system. Additionally, some use garlic to detoxify the blood. Although, there appears to be no research that confirms these benefits at this time, many fanciers believe strongly in its advantages. I use it once a week. One clove through a garlic press added to a gallon of water. I have read where some fanciers use a fork to perforate the garlic bulbs before adding them to the water, and then leaving the bulbs in the water fountain for a few days at a time. I have read where whole cloves should not be used because they build up a film and this fouls water.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Garlic for humans is used for thining the blood...For pigeons it is used for the same thing...If the blood is flowing through the birds system real easy,it helps keep them from getting fatigued in longer races...It is also beneficial for controlling worms....I haven`t given any of my birds worm med`s in years...If the droppings are free of worms,I am assuming the garlic is helping this happen...Alamo

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh thanks for all your replies! I appreciate them heaps :):)
I've never heard your can use coconut oil and clove oil on pigeons before, hmm...something to read about.

Does anyone use Echinacea and Goldenseal? If so how do you prepare it and for what?

The one clove of crushed garlic to a gallon of water, should be exchanged every evening, hey? Do I use a new crushed clove every day? For how many days a week is giving garlic safe?

I'm going to have a watch of that youtube video. :) Thank you a lot once again! :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just watched the video, sounds great, easy to prepare and all...one more question though...

in regards to its thinning the blood, can this have negative effects on a pigeon in any way? Such as stroke inducing or something? If say, a blockage is suddenly thinned or I don't know...we have this paranoia over birds having strokes as our chicken went that way a few years ago.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm just thinking, if you live in a northern climate, where you experience cold winters. You may not want to be thinning the blood of your pigeons unless you have a heated loft.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Good thinking Rod !!!.......I only give Garlic,(1 smashed clove per gallon) 2 times per week during racing...Hardly ever give during the winter......Old birds are given free loft starting March/April...I start with the Garlic then,as long as it is fairly mild temperature wize.....I do not let my YB`s free loft,and go on the ground...But I still give garlic 2 days per week....
PLEASE NOTE:If the temperature is over 80 degrees,you have to change the water at 2pm in the afternoon,and give fresh garlic water....Garlic spoils fast in extreme hot weather,and could make the birds get sick....Just like OLD milk,for kids and us old timers....Alamo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts