Pigeon-Talk banner

garlic

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  learning 
#1 ·
how do you administer garlic to the flock as a preventative? just crush a clove by hand and put it in the drinker a few times a week?

#4 ·
There is always a better benifit for using fresh instead of processed, as for the powder that I use I got it from Foy's pigeon supply. Looks to me like the same stuff you would get at a grocery store but im not positive on that. Im sure you could find the proper dose for using the actual cloves by either running a search here on the forums or googling it. I remember seeing it somewhere but cant quite remember where.:)

#5 ·
Here is a little peice of information that I find may help you. But as for the dosage I would assume the same as the powder. About 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. If anyone here could help clearify that it would be much appreciated.

Garlic, The Natural Tonic

Pigeon fanciers in Europe have been using garlic for years and reporting excellent results. Many problems with our pigeons can actually be helped by using garlic in their diet on a regular basis. Many intestinal problems can be solved by giving our birds garlic, especially diarrhea or loose droppings.

To species of gram negative bacteria (aurescens)(escherichia) and E-coil along with a few other gram negative bacteria are greatly reduced with the use of garlic. Garlic is also a great aid in reducing respiratory disease. Garlic has some antibacterial activity---about 1% of the activity of penicillin. It will kill a whole variety of bacteria and at least 60 different kinds of fungi and molds.

When working with garlic it is important to keep in mind that the raw form is the ultimate. The principle ingredient is a compound called allicin, and must be crushed. If you don’t have a garlic press you can use pliers.

Fresh garlic cloves form the grocery store are best. Until research proves otherwise, the fresh cloves are preferred over powders and other solubles since processing destroys many of the active components. One of the important minerals found in Japanese garlic is selenium. Selenium combines with vitamin E is important in the regeneration of muscle tissue and overall general health. Selenium in lab animals has the remarkable capacity to rid laboratory rats of cancer, for example. If there is a wonder product around, it is probably garlic. Again, remember to crush the cloves and do not heat them.

#7 ·
I go to the vitiman store and buy the gel caps of liquid garlic
I use 3 pills per gallon of water
havent had any problems

#8 ·
I swear by Garlic. But it is not a treatment, It is used best to boost the Immune system of your birds, mostly when under stress.
I give no weekly garlic unless they are under stress. I.E. after a race Maybe after the second round of young, if i want a third round Ect.
The thing most people think is more is better. It is not, the organs of the bird, Kidneys, Liver Ect., have to process the garlic. I will not even use Probiotics on a weekly basis, unless the birds are stressed. Yes all this will help them ward of problems... to a point, but with good health, they will use their own Immune to do the same thing. A birds body is like a factory, raw materials in,Product out. Even too many vitamins can effect your birds, because if you feed too many they still work the Organs to process it BUT, they can only use so much and the rest is passed out in the droppings. JMHO Dave

#12 ·
Bezz I do the same way with the garlic in the blender...Whole clove and blend it, about a cup of water in the blender with the peeled garlic (of course) then I pour the garlic water in 3 gallons container and add more water to it...Works real good especially in the winter, they need a bit of spice to keep them warm...Sometimes I take off the pulp of garlic so nothings floating in it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.