Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a lot of reading on this site I've seen people talking about goods of Garlic and ppl telling to give garlic once a week. References to feeding pills, have garlic soaked in the water over night and then put it infront of Pigeons.

How about just hand feeding the garlic? If yes, what quantity per pigeon?

I know for people who have many birds it's hard to hand feed but this is for people who have few birds.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Take one or two garlic cloves, crush them and put them in a gallon of water. Let it set over night and then give them the water the next day. I have used this on my birds and never any trouble.

George

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take the size of the popcorn seed. Cut garlic that size and pop down the throat.
Take one or two garlic cloves, crush them and put them in a gallon of water. Let it set over night and then give them the water the next day. I have used this on my birds and never any trouble.

George
Yes I am aware of this one. I was asking if we can feed them garlic directly if you only have few birds. But Thanks for the input.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
You could also go to a health food store and get garlic gel tabs and pop one down the throat. If you do fresh garlic, cut the piece and pop it right away for
best results.

fp

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Is Garlic good for birds?
Bird channel doesn't seem to think so..

Garlic and Onions: bad
I know there are different opinions and I wouldn't give a bird raw garlic down the throat as I believe there was an incident where a bird died, but that may have been that the bird had something else going on.

I don't know about other species of birds, but yes it is good for pigeons, but just to be safe, either put the raw garlic in their water or give a soft gel capsule down the throat, I have NEVER EVER seen any negative results. The only time you would not give garlic is to a young bird under 2 months or one that has an upset stomach.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Why not when it has an upset stomach?

I thought Garlic would help for this!:confused:

Bezz
My rehabber said those are the only two reasons when NOT to use it. I guess because the garlic may make the upset stomach worse, and possibly the good bacterial count may be low also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know there are different opinions and I wouldn't give a bird raw garlic down the throat as I believe there was an incident where a bird died, but that may have been that the bird had something else going on.

I don't know about other species of birds, but yes it is good for pigeons, but just to be safe, either put the raw garlic in their water or give a soft gel capsule down the throat, I have NEVER EVER seen any negative results. The only time you would not give garlic is to a young bird under 2 months or one that has an upset stomach.
If raw garlic can be given in the water why not straight down the throat?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
* If raw garlic can be given in the water why not straight down the throat?
* I know there are different opinions and I wouldn't give a bird raw garlic down the throat as I believe there was an incident where a bird died, but that may have been that the bird had something else going on.

I don't know about other species of birds, but yes it is good for pigeons, but just to be safe, either put the raw garlic in their water or give a soft gel capsule down the throat , I have NEVER EVER seen any negative results. The only time you would not give garlic is to a young bird under 2 months or one that has an upset stomach.

I will not advise it, it is your choice....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
As usually there are always pros and cons the way garlic can be used.
Your original question was can you feed garlic to your birds and what quantity per pigeon. I did answer you what quantity and how to feed it. Maybe I should be more descriptive. :)
Garlic is good for pigeons as is good for humans.
You can give it to the birds in various forms.
- Raw as 1 small piece down the throat.
- Crushed and soaked in water
- Garlic capsules
- Garlic oil
- Dried garlic powder
Raw garlic is the best to give as preserves all natural ingredients originally containing. If you just drop it in front of the birds, they wont take it so you need to pop it in their throat. Soaked in water is second best choice but leaving it overnight to soak leads to decomposition and oxidation of the essential oils and Allicin and Diallyl sulphides. Because of the smell and taste, pigeon’s water intake is reduced and this can lead to dehydration especially in warm season. Racing birds’ performance will be impaired.
All other forms of garlic are with even less potency because most of the components are destroyed due to thermal or other processing.
Too much garlic can lead to irritation of GI tract. Symptoms like poisoning. Alergic reactions. Can disrupt anti coagulants and cause extensive bleeding of injuries.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you plamenh for the information.

I think it also depends on the kind of raw garlic you can get locally.

Personally I find using the garlic caps is easier and has better long term results.

I think the grade of garlic bulbs that is available here is not as pure and potent, the Allicidin that comes from caps I use, is a totally different variety and its more concentrated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As usually there are always pros and cons the way garlic can be used.
Your original question was can you feed garlic to your birds and what quantity per pigeon. I did answer you what quantity and how to feed it. Maybe I should be more descriptive. :)
Garlic is good for pigeons as is good for humans.
You can give it to the birds in various forms.
- Raw as 1 small piece down the throat.
- Crushed and soaked in water
- Garlic capsules
- Garlic oil
- Dried garlic powder
Raw garlic is the best to give as preserves all natural ingredients originally containing. If you just drop it in front of the birds, they wont take it so you need to pop it in their throat. Soaked in water is second best choice but leaving it overnight to soak leads to decomposition and oxidation of the essential oils and Allicin and Diallyl sulphides. Because of the smell and taste, pigeon’s water intake is reduced and this can lead to dehydration especially in warm season. Racing birds’ performance will be impaired.
All other forms of garlic are with even less potency because most of the components are destroyed due to thermal or other processing.
Too much garlic can lead to irritation of GI tract. Symptoms like poisoning. Alergic reactions. Can disrupt anti coagulants and cause extensive bleeding of injuries.
Thanks and that answers my question in simple terms. ;).

Lots of newbies on this site and they need simple answers like this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts