Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the benefits of garlic to pigeons? and how to prepare it~? could it be handfed with thinly sliced or minced clove of garlic?? one or two? i'll search for more threads about it larter on^^

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok i found some threads but they are saying the garlic should be mixed with water~ but isn't it better pure without water~??

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
We use to put it in the water until we got new waterers and decided to put it in the feed as not to stain the waterers. You will never get that garlic smell out. We dice it up to a small pea size and layer it on the feed. They love it. It will all be gone in no time!

FWIW they had no problem drinking the garlic water as I have heard some say.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We use to put it in the water until we got new waterers and decided to put it in the feed as not to stain the waterers. You will never get that garlic smell out. We dice it up to a small pea size and layer it on the feed. They love it. It will all be gone in no time!

FWIW they had no problem drinking the garlic water as I have heard some say.
so they will really eat the sliced garlic~? i thought they wouldn't like the taste of garlic and they'll just reject it. . thanks for the reply @AZCorbin!!^^

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah they love it, I was surprised too but they have no problem eating it and seem to really enjoy it. I have heard the same from other members on hear too. I will be growing it soon enough for them!
hey i was thinking exactly the same as you are!! when i was mincing and slicing some cloves of garlic for some of my pigeons yesterday i was thinking what if i'll grow some garlics on our veggie garden~!!^^

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Planting Time

Next month (October) is when you want to plant your garlic. Work some of your aged pigeon droppings into the soil for nutrients. If you can, get "seed" garlic which are cloves that have been left in the ground a little longer that garlic meant for cooking.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-26-garlic.aspx

·
Registered
32 Posts
blueflyer

What are the benefits of garlic to pigeons? and how to prepare it~? could it be handfed with thinly sliced or minced clove of garlic?? one or two? i'll search for more threads about it larter on^^
i give my birds garlic iol mix one drop per bird into seed and mix it well in i do dis once my birds took a wile to get use to it ,they look great

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I've never had a problem getting the garlic smell out from my waterers , but then I use a premium bleach once a week when I clean them . I use 2 garlic cloves pronged on all sides with a fork and I leave them for 24 hours . I've heard of some people feeding some garlic seeds in with their food and apparently it rids the birds of worms if in fact they have them to begin with .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts