Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching pigeon genetics for a project (absolutely fascinating, btw -- I'd looked into budgies before, but pigeons have way more variability, probably because they're truly domesticated while budgies have just picked up a few color/feather mutations). Anyway, tangent aside --

I've been having pretty good luck finding explanations of everything I need, and I have a strong grounding in heredity and genetics so I understand the basic principles, but there are still a few mutations I can't find resources on.

My biggest problem at the moment is white markings. I see a lot of pigeons with white marks, some of which appear to be standardized, but I can't find any sort of database beyond a few casual mentions of marking types. Is there any list of common white markings that I could read through?

I understand dilution factors pretty well, but there's also the "ice" and "reduced" mutation, and I'm not sure how those affect color. I'm not even sure "ice" is a mutation. Sometimes it seems to be a breed. It appears they're both lightening mutations, but unrelated to the dilution factors?

Bar color is an absolute mystery to me. I understand how it relates to ground colors, but I can't find any resources on bar-color mutations, or how other mutations affect it (I've seen white-bar mentioned a few times, but no luck in finding an explanation).

I'm also having trouble with bronzing. I've seen enough pictures to understand what it generally does, but not how it interacts with other mutations, or what dictates the parts of the body it affects.

I can't find any resources on what a "mahogany" pigeon is supposed to look like, though I've seen the mutation listed. Is it in any way related to kite-bronze?

I can't seem to figure out whether the lace/silky mutation is a feather mutation or a color mutation.

Any help with any of these questions is greatly appreciated :) Thank you!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was very enthralled with pigeon genetics at one point as well.
From my understanding, silky is a pretty uncommon feather mutation that causes the barbs in the feathers not to work as well, they get twisted and tattered much easier (like in a silkie chicken, however those dont contain barbs except in the wing feathers). Result, a very odd pigeon. It's a recognized feather variation in fantails as well
http://darwinspigeons.com/silky-pigeon-gene/4537067652

1 - 2 of 2 Posts