Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

Does anybody have any tips/tricks for gentling birds?

My birds are in a hutch-type loft, so I'm not able to go in and "commune" with them in an efficient manner.:) I've tried to handle my young birds regularly, and they're somewhat okay with it.

I see you all holding your birds in that cupping-style hold- How do you train for that, and is there a specific holding technique?

If it's all just patience, persistance and repetition, that's fine. I just wondered if there was more to it. Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
84 Posts
All:

Does anybody have any tips/tricks for gentling birds?

My birds are in a hutch-type loft, so I'm not able to go in and "commune" with them in an efficient manner.:) I've tried to handle my young birds regularly, and they're somewhat okay with it.

I see you all holding your birds in that cupping-style hold- How do you train for that, and is there a specific holding technique?

If it's all just patience, persistance and repetition, that's fine. I just wondered if there was more to it. Thanks!

Don
When we hold the birds like that we have their legs in between our index firger and our middle finger. We have total control this way.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
My young birds this year did not get the attention they needed. I moved them into a new loft and they were flying all over the place. I began working with them using food as the motivator. I keep them a bit hungry. I would sit in the loft and hold out my hand full of food. Curious are pigeons. Once they figured out that food came through me they are fine. They all eat out of my hand, they will peck at me and untie my shoes. A few will fly and land on me. I will sit in the loft with them for 30 or so minutes a day. When they think you are apart of the environment they get very tame.

Randy

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I would build something where you can get your hands in the loft. Build an aviary that you can get into. As long as being caught is just uncomfortable and not frightening they will become tame. I went out to get band numbers and many of the birds would let me roll the band while they sat on the perch. Same birds two months ago they couldn't get far enough away from me.

Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.