Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor found a young pigeon about 2 months ago. He thought he could feed it then let it go. The bird seems to be full grown but wont fly away. He is now missing most of his tail feathers. I am worried about what he will do this coming winter. Will he ever fly away? Since he is not in distress nobody will take him in as a rescue. I have been feeding him as he is not fat like the other birds in our area. Help.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hello, where are you located? A member from the same area may be able to help you. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are located near D.V.P/York Mills. He seems to be a very nice bird. He comes over to our deck each day, but we have 4 cats. Worried about making him a house for winter with my cats and other cats around.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You were right to ask...a bird with no tail feathers shouldn't be released until they grow back in even then, this time of the year is not a good time to let young birds go on their own.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You were right to ask...a bird with no tail feathers shouldn't be released until they grow back in even then, this time of the year is not a good time to let young birds go on their own.
Yep, Charis answered your question right here.

Pigeons can't just be let go, if raised by a human the pigeon does not have the skills to survive outside on its own....that is not instinct. Living outside has to be taught to them as young birds from other pigeons.

A single pigeon outside, will most likely get attacked by a predator. In the wild pigeons live in flocks...there is safety in numbers.

Is the bird friendly enough to where you can catch him??
If that was possible maybe someone close to you on here would take him in.
A soft release may be possible in the spring, but not in the winter....and not with missing feathers...They prevent him from flying correctly.

Thank you for taking notice of him and trying to get help.
-Hilly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts