Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am thinking of getting a pigeon. I will be getting a white crowned pigeon (a popular Caribbean pigeon, don't worry i live there so no change in environment)
Will a pigeon ever be able to be tame enough for me to let the cage door open while he is outside?
Does a pigeon ever get tame enough to go in my hand and shoulder, and for me to carry him outside without him flying away?
I can not race him due to people here. Hunt pigeons "during the season" yea right all year round.
How long will it take for him to get adjusted to me so that he can go outside if he ever does. Yes i will be buying a bird that is less than 4-6 months old hopefully I can. PLEASE ANSWER I AM WAITING TO BUY HIM

·
Registered
309 Posts
Pigeons are like any other pet,, each one has a different personality! Yes they can be tamed to go along with you outside,, but they can also fly away from you,, or get attacked by a hawk right in front of you, or the list is endless of what can happen to a pigeon. The bottom line is if its a pigeon that you just cant live without,, then they must be prisoners! But, if your willing to take the chance,, then yes, pigeons can be tamed and go right along with you outside! I am not familiar with the breed you are talking about,, so I cant be specific on it. You will be able to tell when the pigeon is comfortable and ready to be released!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have seen people talk about harnesses like they use for parrots.

Depending on the personality of the bird and training him to accept it he could come for walks with you and be safe because of the harness - so he won't fly away and get lost

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hello all, I am thinking of getting a pigeon. I will be getting a white crowned pigeon (a popular Caribbean pigeon, don't worry i live there so no change in environment)
Will a pigeon ever be able to be tame enough for me to let the cage door open while he is outside?
Does a pigeon ever get tame enough to go in my hand and shoulder, and for me to carry him outside without him flying away?
I can not race him due to people here. Hunt pigeons "during the season" yea right all year round.
How long will it take for him to get adjusted to me so that he can go outside if he ever does. Yes i will be buying a bird that is less than 4-6 months old hopefully I can. PLEASE ANSWER I AM WAITING TO BUY HIM
Hello and welcome to PT.

Fancy pigeons are the ones which can be let out to walk/fly around the place after getting them used to the place. Once settled they will not leave.

White crowned pigeons can't be let out free. They may leave forever. They are skittish by nature but if handraised, a young pigeon he can gel with you and you can keep him as an indoor pet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do you plan on keeping the pigeon indoors for the most part? Keep in mind that pigeons are very vocal. Having a single pigeon means hearing him/her coo for a mate almost 24/7. If you break down and find him/her a mate, you will then hear serenading almost 24/7. And on top of that, you will have to deal with eggs as well.

I have 2 house pigeons. One is very tame. He is very interactive and follows me around the house(especially when I'm vacuuming). Kinda acts like a feathered dog. haha! The other one could care less. She will do her own thing and only really interacts with us when she wants a treat or to go into her cage. Both pigeons were raised in the same manner at the same age. So, my guess is that it greatly depends on their own personality on whether or not he/she will act like a "pet".

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts