Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of things.

I received the new 2009 AU Year Book and I am listed in it for the first time, ever! (Okay, not such a big deal. But to me it is because I have been waiting and wanting to race for a very long time). :)

Also getting excited about which birds to pair up and what might come from them. I have a pair coming from Belgium and I have obtained the bird of the year from my Combine (I just heard that it is up for some kind of national award, but I don't have any more info yet).

Plus, I have some other birds that I have obtained that are from good lines and look and feel very nice.

Of course, it well take almost a year before I'll know. Then it's back to square one again. Maybe.

This is a slow hobby. My previous hobby was playing basketball and collecting vintage comic books. That is almost instant gratification, except sometimes you have to search for a while to locate a book you want. I still have the books and buy and sell often. But I gave up the basketball last year.

56 is just too old to play basketball on concrete playgrounds anymore, with 18 to 30 year olds. I don't care for playing with those older guys (40 to 60 ish), because they play like old guys and there ain't enough of them around. So, now my time is devoted to my dogs and my pigeons.

Man. I wasted so many years WANTING to race pigeons. I wonder where I would be with it if I had not given it up in the early 80's?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Be honest. Everytime you pick up a comic book, hold a basketball, or watch your birds the memories are there. You are not just getting excited again but living life. You haven't wasted any year at all but lived them the way you wanted. Now you are doing something new and like a boy on Christmas morning you love it. Live on my friend, live on.

Tony

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Couple of things.

I received the new 2009 AU Year Book and I am listed in it for the first time, ever! (Okay, not such a big deal. But to me it is because I have been waiting and wanting to race for a very long time). :)

Also getting excited about which birds to pair up and what might come from them. I have a pair coming from Belgium and I have obtained the bird of the year from my Combine (I just heard that it is up for some kind of national award, but I don't have any more info yet).

Plus, I have some other birds that I have obtained that are from good lines and look and feel very nice.

Of course, it well take almost a year before I'll know. Then it's back to square one again. Maybe.

This is a slow hobby. My previous hobby was playing basketball and collecting vintage comic books. That is almost instant gratification, except sometimes you have to search for a while to locate a book you want. I still have the books and buy and sell often. But I gave up the basketball last year.

56 is just too old to play basketball on concrete playgrounds anymore, with 18 to 30 year olds. I don't care for playing with those older guys (40 to 60 ish), because they play like old guys and there ain't enough of them around. So, now my time is devoted to my dogs and my pigeons.

Man. I wasted so many years WANTING to race pigeons. I wonder where I would be with it if I had not given it up in the early 80's?
Enjoy !

Some of us are very fortunate, in that we have a hobby which gets us up in the morning, and looking forward to a new day, week, month...season etc. It's always good to have something be be excited about, and to look forward to. Like Big T said, this is what they call living !!! Enjoy while you still can. :p

We have a member in our club with very serious health issues, he has gone through three kidneys, is now legally blind, had a heart attack the other week, has been in and out of hospital this year. He had to give up the birds, and he says he really misses them. So, my point is, don't look back, live in the present, and be happy you are happy now !!! :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I received the new 2009 AU Year Book and I am listed in it for the first time, ever! (Okay, not such a big deal. But to me it is because I have been waiting and wanting to race for a very long time).
Don't feel silly you're not the only one to get excited. This was our first year racing also and gotta say when mine came the other day I got a bit excited to see my name in there too. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts