Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't had birds since I was a kid. Family recently got out of town and into a the country.. so, naturally, the second thing I did was get a loft rigged up and some birds!

As a kid, always wanted to fly homers, but, just no-one flying in the small rural town I grew up in. Had show birds with my grandfather.

Met some local flyers here and was given 3 pairs to start; they're all on eggs that are pretty near hatching. It's going to be such a trip having some squeakers around again.

Working my way through all I can read to get ready. Need to get a YB loft going so I'll be ready to fly.

Anybody else feeling it yet?

J

·
Banned
569 Posts
Haven't had birds since I was a kid. Family recently got out of town and into a the country.. so, naturally, the second thing I did was get a loft rigged up and some birds!

As a kid, always wanted to fly homers, but, just no-one flying in the small rural town I grew up in. Had show birds with my grandfather.

Met some local flyers here and was given 3 pairs to start; they're all on eggs that are pretty near hatching. It's going to be such a trip having some squeakers around again.

Working my way through all I can read to get ready. Need to get a YB loft going so I'll be ready to fly.

Anybody else feeling it yet?

J
You already have 2016 bands?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not; but I will have them in 2016. It will be very close. They were a bit more excited than I expected to nest.

Next year I'll wait an extra week before I put 'em together so I don't have to scramble.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Yeah they have to go on in a small window of time , if you have a problem you could perhaps band with a 2015 if someone has any. But then they would OB in Jan.

I'm not sure why some start so early,
Unless you want allot of birds. February is the traditional pair up month.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I'm aware of this from having show birds in my youth. '15 bands shouldn't be a problem, but I'm hoping I don't have to go that route.

Yeah they have to go on in a small window of time , if you have a problem you could perhaps band with a 2015 if someone has any. But then they would OB in Jan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have not met him, but know him and Stephen. They were the ones that directed me around once I started asking questions. Hoping to meet them both this season and see their birds.

I'm near the Moline club; I think there is a good density of guys in Omaha and Sioux City on the west side of the state, too.

Have a friend in Kellogg Iowa with a lot of good birds. Maybe you know him, his name is Justin Michael.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I'm aware of this from having show birds in my youth. '15 bands shouldn't be a problem, but I'm hoping I don't have to go that route.
Fetched my bands this morning; all but one banded; he was the first hatched and he was a hoss. His nestmate wasn't much trouble, but he needed a band a day or two ago at the least. His knee was pretty knobby and just not enough to get it slipped over.

I figure I'll train him with the others and if he does OK, he'll just go to the breeder loft down the road if necessary. He'll probably be outstanding :).

Time to start planning the YB loft...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did try; the hind toe was long enough and there wasn't enough room in the joint of his leg to get any further. This one bird it was hard getting it over his footpad, even. I tried both legs too, just to see if I could sneak it on one and not the other. I know usually one nestmate is a bit more of a glutton than the other, but, in this case, he's a bit larger than the other pairs in comparison. I have christened him "The Hoss".

There should be another round coming here soon, I'm more prepared. I knew after being separated that they'd be excited and get straight to business, but I thought it may take a little bit longer than it did; a few days at least (I put them together just before Thanksgiving), but I think it was about 8 or 9 days before the first set of eggs appeared, and they all had an egg within about 24 hours.

It's pretty cool. I'm looking forward to more.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cool, I just banded 4 of my first yb's for this year. Since this is going to be my first season racing I am pretty excited to see what I have. I hear you on having a "hoss" 1st pair 2 day's ahead of the second and yet the second pair of yb's have already caught up and passed the first in size. Going to have fun and enjoy the whole process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is awesome. Doesn't it feel great? Seeing what they're starting to look like (17 days) is like opening a present. Hoss's nestmate is starting to catch up; for about a week, though, Hoss eclipsed him in the nest.

I've been handling them for a few minutes each day so they're not so skittish. My stock birds (their parents) are pretty flighty, but I have noticed that they're slightly less so. When I feed them in the morning and after work I stand next to the feeder so they have to eat with me present for a few minutes. That's slowly having an effect. They know who the bringer of food is, however.

Cool, I just banded 4 of my first yb's for this year. Since this is going to be my first season racing I am pretty excited to see what I have. I hear you on having a "hoss" 1st pair 2 day's ahead of the second and yet the second pair of yb's have already caught up and passed the first in size. Going to have fun and enjoy the whole process.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah brother it is certainly a great feeling watching them grow.
I also am handling the babies for a few minutes when I am feeding as they grow I will increase the time I spend with them and handling them. Amazing how fast they learn never whistled or called the bird's until these hatched, the parents already know when I whistle and call them it's feeding time and jump down to the feed tray. The more time you can spend in the loft the calmer your bird's will become. Now to start the planning for training.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey GrizzleMan,are you breeding in a heated loft or using nest box heating pads? I have to be really watchful the past week with the sub-zero temp's. I have managed to get 4 banded now I just have to hope that the eggs I have make it through the next few days. Good luck with the season all

·
Registered
109 Posts
Eggs

I have a heat light and straw but no heating pads. Its very cold here but starting tomorrow the temp goes up. As long as the birds are sitting on eggs they are fine.

I took the 3 young birds and put them in a cage in my house this weekend I did not want to see them freeze. Tomorrow the young birds can go back in the loft.

Bring on spring already,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea they're fine. I think the cold is harder on them when the youngsters are really growing because they're trying to stay warm and burning more fuel *and* feeding hungry beaks.

I've got a pair of YB's that hatched a week ago and then 2 more on eggs. One set should be hatching wed/thurs the others not for a little while yet.

My first round hatched in <10F weather and they were all fine; we had a few days below zero in there too. The first round were out in the aviary yesterday (4F) and today (15F) and didn't seem to care too much.

I have a heat light and straw but no heating pads. Its very cold here but starting tomorrow the temp goes up. As long as the birds are sitting on eggs they are fine.

I took the 3 young birds and put them in a cage in my house this weekend I did not want to see them freeze. Tomorrow the young birds can go back in the loft.

Bring on spring already,,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts